AAAmedical
AAAmedical  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 01:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 17, 2002

Hello everybody,

I have a personal glossary of about 8000 entries. I made my glossary in Word (table form 4 colomns). So the 8000 entries are translated into 3 languages which makes the file very heavy. The size of the file is now 3.3 MB and the file is really slow to work with. Sometimes I get stuck in the file and I have to restart my computer to continue working.

Can anybody tell me if my problems are related to the fact that my file is too heavy or c
... See more
Hello everybody,

I have a personal glossary of about 8000 entries. I made my glossary in Word (table form 4 colomns). So the 8000 entries are translated into 3 languages which makes the file very heavy. The size of the file is now 3.3 MB and the file is really slow to work with. Sometimes I get stuck in the file and I have to restart my computer to continue working.

Can anybody tell me if my problems are related to the fact that my file is too heavy or could there be another problem?

Is there another solution to build up and maintain a glossary?

Any suggestions welcome

Ann
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use a database application to maintain it... Sep 17, 2002

...better still: use a special terminology management application to support the translation process, preferably a tool that is incorporated into a CAT solution.

Having used Trados MultiTerm for a number of years (and having become accustomed to its shortcomings... haven\'t had the time to upgrade yet), I couldn\'t imagine going back to Word tables. (My main termbase has approx. 4,000 entries.)

AAAmedical
AAAmedical  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what about worfast Sep 17, 2002

I am beginner in using wordfast but I don\'t think it has a terminology database like Trados.

Like to hear from an experienced Wordfast user if this is the case.

Ann

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Wordfast can cope with large bilingual glossaries Sep 17, 2002

Hi Ann,

For use with Wordfast, save a two-column glossary (source-target terms) as a tab-separated, plain txt file. This will make for a substantially smaller file size.

A third column for comments is optional but useful e.g. if you enter attributes which will help you to sort out terms from various sources or fields later - if this is what you mean by terminology management?

You need to activate Term Recognition, load the glossary
... See more
Hi Ann,

For use with Wordfast, save a two-column glossary (source-target terms) as a tab-separated, plain txt file. This will make for a substantially smaller file size.

A third column for comments is optional but useful e.g. if you enter attributes which will help you to sort out terms from various sources or fields later - if this is what you mean by terminology management?

You need to activate Term Recognition, load the glossary & \'sort\' it (using the relevant buttons) to get your glossary interacting with Wordfast. It then recognises, enters by a shortcut or auto-propagates terms from your glossary, depending on other settings. See the Wordfast manual for details.

You can do basic management of a Wordfast glossary using any text editor or Excel, and you can add to it on the fly while working in Wordfast.

HTH - Deborah

Collapse

arterm
arterm  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Russian
Deborah is totally right. Sep 17, 2002

Worfast has all you need to manage your terms.

Just read its manual.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
another idea Sep 18, 2002

This is not a \"professional\" solution, but you can also put your glossary in MS Excel.

XLS files are much lighter than Word tables. I have a list of items in 5 columns and about 1100 lines and the file weighs ca. 250 KB.

Also in Excel the sorting options are probably better than in Word.

HTH

Paul Skalinski

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a good way to maintain a large glossary

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »