Thread poster: Textklick
Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:06
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Nov 17, 2009

Mine for German special characters have suddenly stopped working (no, my Caps Lock is not on).

This applies to Word docs and online like here (Ctr+Alt+0252 = zilch).

Any spontaneous advice welcome. Online forums have not helped so far.

Windows XP2 Pleb Version, SP2.

TIA for any inspiration.
Chris

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Number lock off? Nov 17, 2009

Hi Chris,

The only thing I can think of is another obvious one, I'm afraid - you haven't inadvertently pressed Number Lock off by any chance? I know that happens to me sometimes and I end up activating Wordfast commands instead of typing ü or ä - most disconcerting!

Hope you solve it soon,

Claire

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Success! Nov 17, 2009

Claire Cox wrote:

Hi Chris,

The only thing I can think of is another obvious one, I'm afraid - you haven't inadvertently pressed Number Lock off by any chance? I know that happens to me sometimes and I end up activating Wordfast commands instead of typing ü or ä - most disconcerting!

Hope you solve it soon,

Claire

Thanks so much Claire - it worked! Solche Schätze wie du muß man kennen!

Thomas Ochiltree
Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:06
Latin to English
+ ...
Another technique in WORD Nov 17, 2009

In WORD, but only there, one can quickly enter the letter from the main keyboard (regardless of whether num lock is on) by holding down CTRL and SHIFT while you type : (the colon/semicolon key) RELEASE CTRL and SHIFT and THEN type the non-Umlaut version of the letter (e.g. A foe Ä, a for ä) and the Umlaut version of the latter will appear. For ß use the same procedure except instead of : type &, then again AFTER RELEASING THESE KEYS type s amd ß will appear. Again, this only works in WORD. ... See more
In WORD, but only there, one can quickly enter the letter from the main keyboard (regardless of whether num lock is on) by holding down CTRL and SHIFT while you type : (the colon/semicolon key) RELEASE CTRL and SHIFT and THEN type the non-Umlaut version of the letter (e.g. A foe Ä, a for ä) and the Umlaut version of the latter will appear. For ß use the same procedure except instead of : type &, then again AFTER RELEASING THESE KEYS type s amd ß will appear. Again, this only works in WORD. for other places such as here the numerical keyboard with num lock on has to be used. Good luck.

[Edited at 2009-11-17 18:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-17 18:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-17 18:02 GMT]
Collapse

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:36
English to Hindi
+ ...
An intelligent answer! Nov 18, 2009

Claire Cox wrote:

Hi Chris,

Hope you solve it soon,

Claire

It's an obvious answer but many people starts thinking beyond it, once an issue is there.
I used such tricks a lot while interacting with US clients over the phone few years back. Especially, this one, checking the 'Num Lock' key, if it is 'on' or 'off'.

-PRAKAASH

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:06
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
But Nov 18, 2009

why wouldn’t you simply enable the German layout?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Keyboard shortcuts

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »