Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to choose a good text for a sample translation.
Thread poster: Vivien Green
Helene Lyons
Helene Lyons  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Choosing the right text Aug 10, 2015

I am looking to start a portfolio and have read a lot about copyright laws etc. but what I really want to know is when chosing a text (in this case historical), is it advisable to use something that is very well known? I know that the text I want to use has been translated a number of times so I´m not sure.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Helene

Xuling Wu
Xuling Wu
United States
Local time: 11:10
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It's a creative solution Sep 23, 2021

Phil Hand wrote:

Are what I use.

If you've done translations published with your name attached, you can quote from them. And I've published a lot of abstracts with translations on my blog. It's fair use so long as you're not claiming the ideas in the paper are yours!

Me, too. None of the authors I contacted ever responded to my inquiries even though I explained that I wasn't asking for any pay. It is frustrating. So, instead of waiting around for their permission, I started blogging, only translating the parts included as quotes. I give proper citations, like writing a research paper back in the old days in college. I must thank these lazy authors because it's more exciting to publish writings with your own analyses.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:10
French to English
. Sep 25, 2021

Helene Lyons wrote:
I know that the text I want to use has been translated a number of times so I´m not sure.

I would avoid translating a text that has already been translated. It may come off as presumptuous to act like you think you can do better than a published translator. Or the client might find one of the previous translations on internet and prefer it to yours - remember they might not actually be in a position to judge (I recently sent some sleeve notes to a potential client who promptly placed their first order saying they liked my "punchy style" - the text wasn't at all punchy, more like dreamy and poetic. But I was pleased as punch to get the order so never mind).

Jorge Payan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to choose a good text for a sample translation.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »