Eslovênia
Local time: 06:23
Membro (2007)
inglês para esloveno
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Agree with Nicole - educate new translators Apr 13, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Educate .... and help. New colleagues often don't know better. That's why we call ourselves a community instead of an ivory tower.

That needed to be said.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Espanha
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Another guilty sector... Apr 13, 2008

... aside from the newbies and other discussed above, is surely the harrassed translator who is in a panic and stressed and so a) chucks the posting in without due care, and b) is so caught up in that very context that it seems blindingly obvious and it never occurs to you that a touch of clarification might come in useful (after all, you've been living this paragraph 1000% for the last 90 minutes!). I fall into this cartegory far too often, and fellow translators have had to upbraid me, quite r... See more
... aside from the newbies and other discussed above, is surely the harrassed translator who is in a panic and stressed and so a) chucks the posting in without due care, and b) is so caught up in that very context that it seems blindingly obvious and it never occurs to you that a touch of clarification might come in useful (after all, you've been living this paragraph 1000% for the last 90 minutes!). I fall into this cartegory far too often, and fellow translators have had to upbraid me, quite rightly, about the same lack of context that drives me crazy in other postings. Thank you to all of you for your patience!Collapse

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
I do understand the importance of context but... Apr 13, 2008

A lot of times I think the context, especially in legal translation, would be the entire the document, which naturally cannot be posted. This is one case scenario.

The other is that what the asker really wants is to know if you yourself have translated this term before and how you did it. So the asker is looking for a term to immediately strike a chord with you, not for you to look through the internet for it. They especially want to know if you yourself have translated in a documen
... See more
A lot of times I think the context, especially in legal translation, would be the entire the document, which naturally cannot be posted. This is one case scenario.

The other is that what the asker really wants is to know if you yourself have translated this term before and how you did it. So the asker is looking for a term to immediately strike a chord with you, not for you to look through the internet for it. They especially want to know if you yourself have translated in a document which provided a much better indication of what the term actually refers to. In short, they want to lean on your experience and not your internet search skills. Sometimes, potential answers demand context unnecessarily and the truth is that they are not the best placed to suggest an answer. Having said that, any help is better than none, even if is just a reaction to the term. I know from the times when I have posted that any help was greatly appreciated.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Alemanha
Membro (2004)
inglês para esloveno
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Do you know how shrinks make their living? Apr 13, 2008

Yet, STILL translators do not provide sufficient context

They say (now and then...) "....tell me more..."

If you persist this way, you may even get 4 points (g). Just don't come up with a diagnosis ("has trouble expressing himself, possible speech impediment/stutter?"). After all, this is not what they have come out for.

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-04-13 15:39]

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Espanha
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
he wouldn't be the first Apr 14, 2008

KathyT wrote:

...but what has happened to our esteemed colleague, Kim Metzger?
Those three little 'x'es in front of his name suggest that he has left the site.
Surely this can't be true? That would be devastating news.
I don't post in the forums that often but am an avid reader, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who has benefited from Kim's wisdom and experience through reading many of his posts over the years. The loss would be even greater for those working in his language pairs. I really hope it's just temporary(?) and he will return, pronto!:-(

Lots of helpful people have left, precisely becuase they are professionals and this site has degenerated.

I looked back though this post becuase I'm EQUALLY irritated by people who post answers and provide no supporting argument.

What's this about the X's ... what do they mean?

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 05:23
Membro (2007)
francês para inglês
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Educate Apr 14, 2008

The fact is that context is constantly being requested by those translators who wish to help new or even old translators!

Some people are just not open to being educated and can be repeat offenders.

Nothing to do with ivory towers - that is just another unhelpful, negative comment. It is a question of pragmatism. If you don't get enough context you can't give a decent answer.

Liz Askew

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Alemanha
inglês para alemão
+ ...
Fully agree that it's not a matter of ivory tower Apr 14, 2008

liz askew wrote:

The fact is that context is constantly being requested by those translators who wish to help new or even old translators!

Some people are just not open to being educated and can be repeat offenders.

Nothing to do with ivory towers - that is just another unhelpful, negative comment. It is a question of pragmatism. If you don't get enough context you can't give a decent answer.

Liz Askew

There's one notorious non-supplier of context in my language pair (EN-DE). He's not interested in "education", saying that it's up to peers to answer his (contextless) questions or to simply ignore them. He's one of the hopeless cases (and I've included him in my list of filtered colleagues).

liz askew
Reino Unido
Membro (2007)
francês para inglês
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Filtered colleagues Apr 14, 2008

Now that's interesting, how do you do this?

I don't know the IT skills for this, but there are certainly one or two I would like to filter, particularly one who can be rather unpleasant.

Thank you for any IT help

Liz

liz askew
Reino Unido
Membro (2007)
francês para inglês
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Patient colleagues - another guilty sector Apr 14, 2008

Dear Aceavila

At least you are up to admitting this!

My dear friend and colleague, I won't be putting you in the filtered colleague section!

Liz

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Alemanha
inglês para alemão
+ ...
No IT knowledge required ;-) Apr 14, 2008

liz askew wrote:

Now that's interesting, how do you do this?

I don't know the IT skills for this, but there are certainly one or two I would like to filter, particularly one who can be rather unpleasant.

Thank you for any IT help

Liz

Simply open the KudoZ dropdown menu and go to "Dashboard" (third item from the bottom). On the left of the Dashboard page, you will see an option "Colleague Flags & Filters". Click on it. The column on the left is for colleagues to flag (i.e. you will be notified of all questions of this particular colleague), and the column on the right is for colleagues to filter (i.e. you won't be notified of questions posted by these colleagues). It's a very useful feature (IMVHO). Best of luck!

liz askew
Reino Unido
Membro (2007)
francês para inglês
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Thank you LittleBalu Apr 14, 2008

Simply open the KudoZ dropdown menu and go to "Dashboard" (third item from the bottom). On the left of the Dashboard page, you will see an option "Colleague Flags & Filters". Click on it. The column on the left is for colleagues to flag (i.e. you will be notified of all questions of this particular colleague), and the column on the right is for colleagues to filter (i.e. you won't be notified of questions posted by these colleagues).

Liz

See more
Simply open the KudoZ dropdown menu and go to "Dashboard" (third item from the bottom). On the left of the Dashboard page, you will see an option "Colleague Flags & Filters". Click on it. The column on the left is for colleagues to flag (i.e. you will be notified of all questions of this particular colleague), and the column on the right is for colleagues to filter (i.e. you won't be notified of questions posted by these colleagues).

Liz

Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 01:23
EQUIPE DO SITE
The system will no longer accept the prefix "xxx" in the case of profiles which are still active Apr 14, 2008

Dear all,

KathyT wrote:

...but what has happened to our esteemed colleague, Kim Metzger?
Those three little 'x'es in front of his name suggest that he has left the site.

I apologize for the off-topic-ness, but I wanted to answer KathyT's inquiry. Kim's profile has not been removed. I have contacted him regarding the xxx before his name. The system should no longer accept the addition of "xxx" in the case of profiles which are still active. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jared

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Austrália
Local time: 14:23
japonês para inglês
Glad to hear it! Apr 14, 2008

Jared Tabor wrote:
Kim's profile has not been removed.

That's great news indeed

Lia Fail wrote:
He wouldn't be the first

@Lia - I know... I've been around here long enough to have been saddened by the exits of several respected colleagues.

Well, I have no idea what was going on there, but I'm thrilled to hear that Kim is still here.

....OK Liz and others - now returning you to your regular programming
Thanks for the bandwidth and apologies again for the diversion.

Gina W
Gina W
Estados Unidos
Local time: 00:23
Membro (2003)
francês para inglês
Very good points Apr 16, 2008

Tatty wrote:

The other is that what the asker really wants is to know if you yourself have translated this term before and how you did it. So the asker is looking for a term to immediately strike a chord with you, not for you to look through the internet for it. They especially want to know if you yourself have translated in a document which provided a much better indication of what the term actually refers to. In short, they want to lean on your experience and not your internet search skills. Sometimes, potential answers demand context unnecessarily and the truth is that they are not the best placed to suggest an answer. Having said that, any help is better than none, even if is just a reaction to the term. I know from the times when I have posted that any help was greatly appreciated.

liz askew
Reino Unido
Membro (2007)
francês para inglês
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Very good points - debatable Apr 16, 2008

Tatty wrote:

Surely, this is an exaggeration? The entire document?? Just a couple of sentences would suffice, surely?

As for medical translations, you can never have enough context as far as I am concerned and it is irresponsible for translators to post queries of two - three words
... See more
Tatty wrote:

Surely, this is an exaggeration? The entire document?? Just a couple of sentences would suffice, surely?

As for medical translations, you can never have enough context as far as I am concerned and it is irresponsible for translators to post queries of two - three words, expecting somebody to magically come up with the answer; previous experience is not always enough to be able to answer a query competently. A doctor would never answer a question about a patient's health, based on a tiny piece of information, without a much broader picture of what was going on.

And, yes, it is often very necessary to search the Net to help a colleague out in the case of medical translations. You only need to look at some of the "off the top of my head" answers by so-called competent translators to realise that it takes a lot more searching to find the most suitable and reasonable answer.

Sure, other fields may be different, but let us not tar everybody with the same brush.

I believe that translators can establish general standards, and one of them is providing enough context for other colleagues to help in the best way possible.

Any other solution is just dumbing-down.

Liz
Collapse

Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ questions posted with insufficient context

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »