Granting points when 2 are similar tho not...
Thread poster: Marjory Hord
Marjory Hord
Marjory Hord
Mexico
Local time: 13:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 9, 2012

I posted a question about a term and got 2 answers. The one I prefer was posted ONE minute after the other person added a note suggesting my "preferred translation". However if I choose that one, it looks like the "non-preferred answer" would appear as my choice...

Marianne Prip Olsen (X)
Marianne Prip Olsen (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 21:28
English to Danish
Close without grading, choose the second one or write a note. Jun 9, 2012

I suggest to close the question without grading it. They both have the preferred answer, and they posted it at approximately the same time. One is likely to have been writing his/her answer while the other one was posting. Alternatively, you can choose the second answer, but that is not quite fair to the first poster. Last option is to write the first answerer a note, asking him/her to post the note as an answer - and then choose that.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:28
French to English
+ ...
Choose the answer that was most helpful Jun 9, 2012

It does not matter who posted when. In any case, the timing is meaningful only when the answers are identical.
Not awarding any points may be perceived as insulting by both answerers. You did find answer helpful, didn't you?
Entering the term in the glossary will show very clearly what your preferred term is.
HTH.

[Edited at 2012-06-09 06:48 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Glossary entry Jun 9, 2012

Marjory Hord wrote:

However if I choose that one, it looks like the "non-preferred answer" would appear as my choice...

Choose the first person who answered with your preferred answer (in this case the first person, who did so one minute before the other) and make sure you edit the glossary entry to reflect your choice.

There's no confusion that way.
A note to both the first and second answerer would be nice, to clarify that you're simply choosing the first person's 2nd choice, which came in before the 2nd person's answer.

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:28
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree with Emma Jun 9, 2012

Emma's suggestion is exactly how I would proceed in such a scenario.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's up to you Jun 9, 2012

In kudoz, some people tend to answer with the first thing that springs to mind, then add other options or clarifications as they occur to them.
I am particularly guilty of this, as this is the way I work in general, perhaps changing initially-used terms for others I later perceive as more suitable for different contexts. (The current kudoz query about "Cajeros Cuidadanos" is a case in point).

Sometimes there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree with Emma and Paul Jun 9, 2012

It seems like a fairly straightforward case: The individual who gave you the answer you used (i.e., found most helpful) was the one who amended his initial answer. The amended answer was posted before a later initial answer offering the identical preferred response.

So "first to post" gets the points. And you enter that term in the glossary.

I don't understand the suggestion to close the question without grading. This is an option that should only be resorted to when n
... See more
It seems like a fairly straightforward case: The individual who gave you the answer you used (i.e., found most helpful) was the one who amended his initial answer. The amended answer was posted before a later initial answer offering the identical preferred response.

So "first to post" gets the points. And you enter that term in the glossary.

I don't understand the suggestion to close the question without grading. This is an option that should only be resorted to when no response at all has been offered, or when none of the responses offered has been in the least helpful.

[Edited at 2012-06-09 12:33 GMT]
Collapse

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Choose the answer that was most helpful Jun 9, 2012

Choose the one that best supported his/her answer with quotations or references. First or second is of absolutel no importance and a mere coincidence.

Marjory Hord
Marjory Hord
Mexico
Local time: 13:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all! Jun 9, 2012

Hi, I'm grateful to all of you for taking the time to answer! Not all seemed to understand that in the end there were 2 identical answers. But the one that was given "a minute later" was also given with examples, etc. and I don't think they were aware of the other person's "second thought". So though it's a hard decision, I think I'll prefer the one that had the most supporting information the fir... See more
Hi, I'm grateful to all of you for taking the time to answer! Not all seemed to understand that in the end there were 2 identical answers. But the one that was given "a minute later" was also given with examples, etc. and I don't think they were aware of the other person's "second thought". So though it's a hard decision, I think I'll prefer the one that had the most supporting information the first time. This is the link: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_spanish/other/4833773-non_recourse.html
Margie H.

[Edited at 2012-06-09 21:00 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Granting points when 2 are similar tho not...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »