Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3]
Linux: your experience?
Inițiatorul discuției: Yolande Haneder (X)
esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:58
Membru (2006)
din engleză în rusă
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Damn, Apr 26, 2007

Kubuntu also quit recognizing my USB sticks (after only a couple of days). It may be, of course, some deep hardware problem, not about the sticks, but, possibly, about the mainboard. But with Windows everything is fine, and I have to revert to Windows. Alas. However, I still believe that openSUSE is great.

As for the fonts, I'm afraid those AGFA fonts don't have such reach character subsets as Microsoft's (I had some problems with Cyrillic). And anyway, if you need 100% MSO compatib
... See more
Kubuntu also quit recognizing my USB sticks (after only a couple of days). It may be, of course, some deep hardware problem, not about the sticks, but, possibly, about the mainboard. But with Windows everything is fine, and I have to revert to Windows. Alas. However, I still believe that openSUSE is great.

As for the fonts, I'm afraid those AGFA fonts don't have such reach character subsets as Microsoft's (I had some problems with Cyrillic). And anyway, if you need 100% MSO compatibility, you'll need to install MSO via Crossover, and that'll require genuine MS fonts.
Collapse

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:58
din germană în franceză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Linux Trados and administrator rights Apr 27, 2007

Concerning about the topic about crossover not working for Trados (which then doesn't seem to be a sole windows problem because you have widows installed on a virtual computer).

How does Linux respond to administrators right and auto prompting from softwares? I mean, even logged as an administrator, I have to enter the administrator password to even change the IP configuration.
Workbench on the other side is opening a Word windows in the background to convert to .rtf before it
... See more
Concerning about the topic about crossover not working for Trados (which then doesn't seem to be a sole windows problem because you have widows installed on a virtual computer).

How does Linux respond to administrators right and auto prompting from softwares? I mean, even logged as an administrator, I have to enter the administrator password to even change the IP configuration.
Workbench on the other side is opening a Word windows in the background to convert to .rtf before it even starts to do anything.
Tageditor is prompting workbench. There is a whole lot of .dot applications started as soon as Trados is started.

This brings me to 2 questions:

-How does Linux react to macros prompts from one software to the another if it demands a password to change a configuration.
-Is there a way to eliminate this password prompt for such program?
-How does Openoffice reacts to macros and automatic prompting.
-How does OpenOffice reacts to .rtf creation? Is it a specific format for Linux?
Collapse

Walerij Winnyk (X)
Walerij Winnyk (X)
Ucraina
din chineză în ucraineană
+ ...
Just unbelievable May 2, 2007

3. From a translation agency point of view: which are the best software to use?
From a translation agency point of view (i18n, security etc.) I'd better choose another, that is, Linux full-featured, distro.
1. How did you learn the commands?

Does Ubuntu require command-line skills? It is GUI-based, isn't it?

Yolande, it seems to me that you do have already some experience and your own opinion, but try to post questions as if you were a just-newbie. Is it a promotion of Ubuntu?

funny thing is that burning a CD out of it is quite a challenge: you should not burn it with more than 4X speed. For this I had to pick an years aged CD burner because most actual CD burners have a speed between x10 to x40 and more.
I burnt my first 2 CD with respectively x40 and x10 and had installation problems. Do you know why the speed is making a difference?

May be, you used CD-R/DVD-R or CD-RW/DVD-RW disk that supported no more than 4x speed. May be, the problem is with the program you burnt your CDs. Some unregistered CD-burning programs have speed restrictions. Then, I don't think "most actual CD-burners have a speed between 10x to 40x and more", for most actual DVD-RW disks support writing up to 4x, CD-RW disks - up to 10x and no more. Optimal writing speed for CD-R or DVD-R is recommended as 12x.

Yolande Haneder (X)
din germană în franceză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
A couple of answers May 2, 2007

Dear Walerij,

I feel flattered that you say I have an experience of Ubuntu. That is not a promotion - as a matter of fact, the image software just arrived and I will try OpenSuse. I also am clueless about the specifics of open source but willing to understand.

Why do I talk about particularly about this one? Because I only tried this one since the Newspaper I am reading is all talking about it (mostly on the topic open source vs microsoft).
I have gone now for mo
... See more
Dear Walerij,

I feel flattered that you say I have an experience of Ubuntu. That is not a promotion - as a matter of fact, the image software just arrived and I will try OpenSuse. I also am clueless about the specifics of open source but willing to understand.

Why do I talk about particularly about this one? Because I only tried this one since the Newspaper I am reading is all talking about it (mostly on the topic open source vs microsoft).
I have gone now for month through the forums to know what to know but it is much to developer specific and I wanted to know about the translator specific side (and if possible not using the developper jargon).

Why did I talk about the commands:
because everytime one were told to make a specific thing it was all about something starting about something like:
/ xxx xxxx. I will probably have to understand how it works to configure for some software I am using.
This format is like Chinese for me and you can't do everything just with the buttons.

I tried Ubutu actually one evening, where I clicked on about everything (because on the first try it didn't recognize my Internet connection). Next day, Markus went to repair it and as he was typing y y y y for everytime he was being asked to repair things, he just said this is not a thing for me.

Fact is we have gone through a total new installation on Windows (corrupted again) and Ubuntu is gone since then and I am just asking myself questions.

I will also try around on my side to get either Trados or SDLX working (since SDLX doesn't work with macros in Word, it may be easier). Once I get Trados and my bookkeeping software running and we solved the problem with the network I will trash windows because I am fed up of this and other things.

As for my burning software, I am using Roxio. I can tell you, there is no way in my version to burn under x10.

I always wanted to try it - it used to be a postponed thing. The problem with updated/antivirus/windows loosing track of the hardware setting (from not recognizing installed software orsound card) to a point of freezing, made my mind about it.

If you don't want to hear about it - it's OK so. This thread is now so buried that I don't have anything to worry. IF you wish, i won't add anymore and this thread can be removed. I got very useful answer that will help me to go further.
Collapse

Walerij Winnyk (X)
Walerij Winnyk (X)
Ucraina
din chineză în ucraineană
+ ...
OK, May 27, 2007

Ubuntu tries to be Windows shell on the core of Linux. And the main advantage of Linux vs. Windows is: if something does not work, you can read the documentation yourself and fix the problem yourself. Of course, there are Linux distributions with commercial tech-support. But in the case of Ubuntu the fact is the advantages of Linux core are hidden but the drawbacks of Windows shell step forward. Ubuntu includes a lot of new but not enough tested software, and if it began to work "out-of-the-box", it works, but if not, it is harder to make it to work, if compared with "traditional" distros.
I have gone now for month through the forums to know what to know but it is much to developer specific and I wanted to know about the translator specific side (and if possible not using the developper jargon).

It is Linux specific. The main idea here is: if you like Linux and feel the lack of some features or software, please read the documentation and develop the thing you feel the lack of. Then you may publish your solution to the Linux community, and the people like you will use it and thank you, and may include it in further releases of Linux distributions. Of course, you can make your own Linux distribution which will satisfy all your needs.
Why did I talk about the commands:
because everytime one were told to make a specific thing it was all about something starting about something like:
/ xxx xxxx. I will probably have to understand how it works to configure for some software I am using.
This format is like Chinese for me and you can't do everything just with the buttons.

Linux has many different graphical "faces" (desktop environments or window managers) and if, for example, you use Enlightenment, and I know nothing about it, because I use only XFCE, the only way to help you to solve your problem may be to give the console command in a string form, for it is universal for all distributions and grahpical "faces". That's why you should know how to use the command line interface in Linux.
I will also try around on my side to get either Trados or SDLX working (since SDLX doesn't work with macros in Word, it may be easier).

I don't think these programs will work on Linux to the extent they work on Windows. On Linux you may use OmegaT or Transolution. For OmegaT there are add-ons to convert between OmegaT and WordFast, and (I may mistake here) Trados can read WordFast's translation memories.
If you don't want to hear about it - it's OK so.

The thing is Ubuntu and similar distros lure users with modern good-looking graphics, and when problems arise, such users (who knew only Windows before and do not like to fix problems themselves) don't know what to do and say the Linux is suxx.

[Edited at 2007-05-27 13:16]

Yolande Haneder (X)
din germană în franceză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
I didn't take unbuntu in the end May 27, 2007

I took the Entreprise (pay) version of OpenSuse so that I get some support if I need and the security updates.

I will try after each version of wine to install Trados.
So far I see two main problems:

- The forced installation of SDL crashing so that I can't try to install the other elements
- The problem about the missing/not working BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer System, that is the software connecting in the background through the Internet) in wine
... See more
I took the Entreprise (pay) version of OpenSuse so that I get some support if I need and the security updates.

I will try after each version of wine to install Trados.
So far I see two main problems:

- The forced installation of SDL crashing so that I can't try to install the other elements
- The problem about the missing/not working BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer System, that is the software connecting in the background through the Internet) in wine (I am not sure that installing a separate BITS would help if it is not tied to wine).

The thing about .NET ist that you have to possibility to slightly change some .dll files, which could be managed with some certificate (Win SxS). The SxS if working in wine but if Trados files are incomplete (which means during the installation it will download some of the files from another source - which it is not doing since I am manually adding dlls), without the BITS you won't go any far because if you get the .dll from another source, it may not be the slightly changed one which is needed.

Furthermore, for freelance versions, there may be a problem with licensing because Trados would want to check to the SDL server because of the licence - with my professional version, I have a floating version so the license is on my computer so it may less be of a problem.

Trados properly working is another problem, I am not that far.
If Trados is only working on a demo mode in Crossover, I would suspect Linux system is blocking the BITS message and Trados then not being able to check the license.

At the moment, i am not installing to much on it, in the case I would have to reinstall anything new until I am totally happy (I have problems with screen resolution on my actual version and can't get rid of a black bar)
Collapse

Yolande Haneder (X)
din germană în franceză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
.dll error May 28, 2007

I have looked around about my dll. error problem and I think the NET won't be able to change anything about it.

The problem is about a backward compatibility that windows get on fine with but not wine/Linux.

In the certificates of Trados in the installed TT directory, the
ATL80.dll has a version of 8.0.50608.0
On my computer however (even on windows) the .dll and its certificate has the version 8.0.50727.42. Windows does not seem to bother about it but Wine
... See more
I have looked around about my dll. error problem and I think the NET won't be able to change anything about it.

The problem is about a backward compatibility that windows get on fine with but not wine/Linux.

In the certificates of Trados in the installed TT directory, the
ATL80.dll has a version of 8.0.50608.0
On my computer however (even on windows) the .dll and its certificate has the version 8.0.50727.42. Windows does not seem to bother about it but Wine keeps complaining about it, and I don't think there is much one can do. Someday Trados will have a new corresponding version.

That's all I can say about the dll not being correctly installed.
I read about registry changes on Windows but doing it in Linux is far out of my reach.
Collapse

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Linux: your experience?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »