Dorothy Schaps
Dorothy Schaps  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:31
Member (2010)
German to English
Jul 23, 2010

Hello everyone,

I'm a new memoQ user, I literally just downloaded memoQ standard! I do know more or less what I'm doing but I have slight problem...

I purchased memoQ standard after using memoQ4free for a while. I've just received a big project and want to work on it in memoQ. I previously translated a text on the same subject as this big project and want to create a TM from those old files via alignment.

I started doing this in memoQ4free but there you ca
... See more
Hello everyone,

I'm a new memoQ user, I literally just downloaded memoQ standard! I do know more or less what I'm doing but I have slight problem...

I purchased memoQ standard after using memoQ4free for a while. I've just received a big project and want to work on it in memoQ. I previously translated a text on the same subject as this big project and want to create a TM from those old files via alignment.

I started doing this in memoQ4free but there you can't import the alignment to the TM so I purchased memoQ standard. I've now opened my project in memoQ standard (it had to be converted first) and I want to continue with my alignment but for some reason I can't see to the end of the lines in the target language column! It's as if my monitor is not big enough!

I've looked in all the menus and searched the Help topics but can find no solution... Can anyone shed some light on the problem please? Could it be due to the conversion? Should I just start the alignment all over again in memoQ standard?

I'd be really grateful for any help!

Thank you very much!
Dot
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Change the computer's resolution Jul 23, 2010

Have you tried to change the resolution of your computer screen and then minimize and maximize MemoQ to see whether it adjusts to it? Maybe your resolution is a bit low. I do plenty of alignment with MemoQ and never have any problems with it.

To change your resolution (this is an example in Windows Vista, but the procedure is more or less the same in all types of Windows), minimize all windows, right-click any empty are of your screen, choose Customise > Screen settings > then drag
... See more
Have you tried to change the resolution of your computer screen and then minimize and maximize MemoQ to see whether it adjusts to it? Maybe your resolution is a bit low. I do plenty of alignment with MemoQ and never have any problems with it.

To change your resolution (this is an example in Windows Vista, but the procedure is more or less the same in all types of Windows), minimize all windows, right-click any empty are of your screen, choose Customise > Screen settings > then drag the Resolution control to choose a different resolution among the ones available.

I hope this helps!
Collapse

Dorothy Schaps
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Jul 23, 2010

Hi Tomás,

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go. I've never had any problems with my monitor resolution before though and nothing looks as if it the resolution is the problem...

I forgot to mention - there are also no scroll bars to the right and at the bottom in the alignment window.. Is this normal...?

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try the resolution first Jul 23, 2010

I'd try the resolution thing. Also, have tried to simply minimise and maximise the window with your current resolution? You can do so by choosing "Minimise", "Restore" and "Maximise" in the menu that you get when you click MemoQ's icon in the top left of the window.

I know this is a stupid request if you are an experienced user of Windows, but I reckon it's best to rule out the simple things first?

(Edited
... See more
I'd try the resolution thing. Also, have tried to simply minimise and maximise the window with your current resolution? You can do so by choosing "Minimise", "Restore" and "Maximise" in the menu that you get when you click MemoQ's icon in the top left of the window.

I know this is a stupid request if you are an experienced user of Windows, but I reckon it's best to rule out the simple things first?

(Edited to change "top right" to "top left".)

[Edited at 2010-07-23 17:10 GMT]
Collapse

Dorothy Schaps
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed itself! Jul 24, 2010

It seems all I needed to do was restart the computer!

I can now see a bar at the bottom of the alignment window with a green tick in the right hand corner and I also have a scroll bar on the right!

I had to go out just as I got your message Tomás and just switched off the computer. I turn it on again just now to try playing with the resolution, opened memoQ first and everything's fine! Sorry for asking stupid questions! =/ I thought there was something wrong with the
... See more
It seems all I needed to do was restart the computer!

I can now see a bar at the bottom of the alignment window with a green tick in the right hand corner and I also have a scroll bar on the right!

I had to go out just as I got your message Tomás and just switched off the computer. I turn it on again just now to try playing with the resolution, opened memoQ first and everything's fine! Sorry for asking stupid questions! =/ I thought there was something wrong with the software! =/

Thanks for your help! =)
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not stupid at all! Jul 25, 2010

These are normal situations we all had at some stage. As long as the suggestions helped you, I am happy!

Good luck Dorothy! See you around!

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 20:01
I'm having the same problem Jul 20, 2012

I'm having the same problem, and it's only memoQ's display that runs off the screen. All other programs appear to be functioning normally.

I think it would be a nuisance if a program forces me to randomly reboot my computer, which appears to be a possible solution in this case (I haven't tried it yet). There have to be other, better ways to deal with the issue.

Perhaps some quirk within memoQ that causes it to behave strangely? A subtle bug, maybe?

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 20:01
Definitely a quirk within memoQ Jul 20, 2012

I exited memoQ and restarted just memoQ.

The display is now fine. I didn't have to reboot the computer.

I think my theory that it's a quirk within memoQ stands proved.

Ah well, for a program that offers as many features and capabilities as memoQ, I think we have to learn to live with a few quirks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New user: Alignment window does not fit on screen

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »