Srini Venkataraman
Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 00:43
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
Apr 7, 2023

There was a time when agencies preferred bank transfer instead of sending checks.
Now I am receiving payment through veem, gusto, melio etc payments. These payments reach the bank account ultimately,
My concern is how safe these payment processors are, and as startups are they biding their time to be gobbled up by a bigger processor?
This layer adds to more logins and 2 factor authorizations thus more passwords/security questions to remember.

The other issue is: T
... See more
There was a time when agencies preferred bank transfer instead of sending checks.
Now I am receiving payment through veem, gusto, melio etc payments. These payments reach the bank account ultimately,
My concern is how safe these payment processors are, and as startups are they biding their time to be gobbled up by a bigger processor?
This layer adds to more logins and 2 factor authorizations thus more passwords/security questions to remember.

The other issue is: Tax filing date is Apr 18 this year, but invariably most organizations send latest the 1099 by February 15, with enough time available to file taxes. 2 agencies using quicken notes had sent the 1099, one in mid March and another on April 2. These delays cause amended tax return to be filed. Do they think this delay is normal, like the 45 day payment terms is the norm for some other agencies.

I have decided to drop the "Apr 2 " agency. No more hassles. The other one will be under monitoring, as that is a good payer.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Payment methods Apr 7, 2023

All my clients within the EU pay by bank transfer, it’s quick, easy, without any charges. My non-EU clients pay through Wise or TransferMate (I don’t accept PayPal). I haven’t seen a cheque for over 15 years…

Thomas T. Frost
Lieven Malaise
expressisverbis

Mihaela C N Plamadeala
Mihaela C N Plamadeala  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Romanian
+ ...
Paypal Apr 7, 2023

@Maria out of curiosity, why di you not accept PayPal? Thank you.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
PayPal Apr 7, 2023

Mihaela C N Plamadeala wrote:

I don't accept PayPal either. They are outrageously expensive, they apply an outrageous spread to their exchange rates, and in the rare cases that something goes wrong (fraud, for example), they wash their hands and let the account holder take the hit. It's a nasty company.

Wise, Veem and SEPA cover the geographic areas I’m interested in anyway.

expressisverbis
satish krishna itikela
philgoddard
Renée van Bijsterveld

Srini Venkataraman
Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 00:43
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paypal Apr 7, 2023

I accept PayPal for last 10+ years and also bank transfers. But some of the agencies are going in for newer payment processors.(btw, For one off jobs, I donot like to give bank details.)

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 07:43
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Indeed Apr 7, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

All my clients within the EU pay by bank transfer, it’s quick, easy, without any charges. My non-EU clients pay through Wise or TransferMate (I don’t accept PayPal). I haven’t seen a cheque for over 15 years…

The ease of payment by bank transfer is to me a reason to avoid working with clients outside of Europe (of course, if need would be I will not hesitate to change my mind about that).

expressisverbis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Happy to answer... Apr 7, 2023

Mihaela C N Plamadeala wrote:

Because Paypal is rather expensive and time-consuming and the alternatives my clients have been using are not, the money transferred goes directly to my bank account, it’s quite quick and I don’t pay a cent.

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
satish krishna itikela
Josephine Cassar

Nader Pourbagher
Nader Pourbagher
Türkiye
Local time: 08:43
Member (2020)
Azerbaijani to English
+ ...
Veem Dec 8, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Wise, Veem and SEPA cover the geographic areas I’m interested in anyway.

Hi Thomas,

How is Veem? I am going to use it. Is it as good and easy to use as Wise?

[Edited at 2023-12-08 19:15 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Veem Dec 8, 2023

Nader Pourbagher wrote:

How is Veem? I am going to use it. Is it as good and easy to use as Wise?

Well, I have set it up to forward all USD payments by ACH directly to my USD Wise account without manual intervention, so it's rather transparent in my case. There is no fee for this.

It has many other functions, some with fees, so in your case, I'd have a look at the functions and fees to see if it meets your needs, your problem being, I presume, that Wise is not available for account holders in Turkey.

It was my biggest US client that decided to pass all their payments through Veem, so I guess it was chosen because it has facilities to cater for many countries.

Hasrina Munajat
Hasrina Munajat  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 13:43
Member (2023)
English to Malay
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Paypal Dec 8, 2023

I've been using Paypal, but considering other alternatives that are less expensive.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment methods

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »