Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2]
Poll: What is your main reason for keeping lower-rate clients?
Tópico cartaz: ProZ.com Staff
José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 07:14
inglês para português
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe we can make a change Dec 6, 2015

Though this "case study" draws from the coincidence of Mario Freitas and myself being both in Brazil, some other countries may face the same situation, viz. domestic translation rates being significantly lower than overseas FOR THE VERY SAME LANGUAGE PAIR AND DIRECTION.

Mario Freitas wrote:

• In Brazil, all agencies pay 50% or less of the regular price in Europe and North America.

• I already got rid of several of these clients as soon as I was able to replace them with foreign clients.

• I only have two regular Brazilian clients (agencies) currently. So I only need two more good clients abroad.

• If the good, competent and experienced translators start saying NO to these grovelling domestic rates, high-quality demanding end-clients will outsource translation work with translation agencies located abroad. It doesn't matter if the translation work will actually be done within walking distance from the end-client, the Internet covers any distance instantly.

This will force the local/domestic bottom-feeders to revise their business equation, if they can't deliver the required quality with the low rates they offer to (or try to impose upon) local translators.

As long as competent translators keep bowing and accepting rates lower than what their work is actually worth in the marketplace, they'll be complaining about low rates.

Muriel Vasconcellos
    Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
    Estados Unidos
    Local time: 03:14
    Membro (2003)
    espanhol para inglês
    + ...
    No such clients Dec 6, 2015

And it has nothing to do with Trados or fuzzy or un-fuzzy matches.

Maxi Schwarz
    Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
    Local time: 05:14
    alemão para inglês
    + ...
    It doesn't really exist Dec 6, 2015

I set my own rates and clients are free to accept or reject them. I cannot define my clients according to rates, since the rates belong to me and not to them. (If that makes sense).

Mario Freitas
    Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
    Brasil
    Membro (2014)
    inglês para português
    + ...
    Right José Henrique, Dec 7, 2015

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Though this "case study" draws from the coincidence of Mario Freitas and myself being both in Brazil, some other countries may face the same situation, viz. domestic translation rates being significantly lower than overseas FOR THE VERY SAME LANGUAGE PAIR AND DIRECTION.

Mario Freitas wrote:

• In Brazil, all agencies pay 50% or less of the regular price in Europe and North America.

• I already got rid of several of these clients as soon as I was able to replace them with foreign clients.

• I only have two regular Brazilian clients (agencies) currently. So I only need two more good clients abroad.

• If the good, competent and experienced translators start saying NO to these grovelling domestic rates, high-quality demanding end-clients will outsource translation work with translation agencies located abroad. It doesn't matter if the translation work will actually be done within walking distance from the end-client, the Internet covers any distance instantly.

Indeed I believe all competent and experienced translators are fleeing to clients abroad. I have done several versions (translations from PT to EN, which I shouldn't do) to local clients, because I know they won't even quote with foreign translators. They prefer to have a non-native translating than to pay the price they charge abroad.

The big issue is, we will reject these rates, and the inexperienced translators will accept then. Quality goes down the tube, but they really don't care. The Chinese have been doing that for a long time, and making rivers of money, so why should they care?

As to my personal opinion, I will get rid of these local clients and work only for clients abroad. I see no hope in changing this situation locally. I may be pessimistic, but things haven't changed here in 500 years, and I really don't have that much time left.

Gianluca Marras
    Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
    Itália
    Local time: 12:14
    inglês para italiano
    a combination of... Dec 7, 2015

Well,

I am happy that my first client is still my best client.
    They have the lowest rate, obviously a decent rate anyway, and it has obviously grown over the years. There a number of reasons for that:
    - invoices are paid within 5 days
    - any time I might need more work, they give me more work
    - a brilliant relationship with PM, accounting dep., secretaries
    - I use CAT tools, but I get paid for the entire work as NEW WORDS

Christopher Schröder
    Christopher Schröder
    Reino Unido
    Membro (2011)
    sueco para inglês
    + ...
    Interesting question Dec 7, 2015

I keep one lowish-paying customer, because they give me my favourite job - one that's interesting and challenging and where I have a totally free hand. Good for the soul. I don't accept anything else from them though.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
    José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
    Brasil
    inglês para português
    + ...
    In memoriam
    It definitely makes sense! Dec 7, 2015

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

I set my own rates and clients are free to accept or reject them. I cannot define my clients according to rates, since the rates belong to me and not to them. (If that makes sense).

It makes sense on the menu at the Maxim's, at the McDonald's, and at the Mamma & Papa's food truck. For some unexplainable reason, their ownership has been usurped in translation to some considerable extent.

SteveMcD
    SteveMcD  Identity Verified
    Local time: 12:14
    alemão para inglês
    No lower rate clients Dec 7, 2015

Since I never work below my minimum rates, I don't really have any "lower rate" clients.
    That said, I do have special rates built into my price schedule such as discounts for students and academic work or package deals for large projects from my long-term clients.

Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
    Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your main reason for keeping lower-rate clients?

CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
    TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »