Help! Post-grad programs for RU/ES/ZH>EN
Thread poster: Lily Zhang
Lily Zhang
Lily Zhang
Local time: 08:49
Russian to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2011

Hi everyone! I'm looking for information on Masters (or similar) programs in these three different languages, mainly Russian as that's my primary language of work (and biggest interest).

Background: I was born in China and moved to the US with my family when I was 5. Growing up, I spoke Mandarin with my family, but in high school I began learning Spanish and Russian. After studying in both those countries during college, I am now fluent in Spanish (including speaking) and proficient
... See more
Hi everyone! I'm looking for information on Masters (or similar) programs in these three different languages, mainly Russian as that's my primary language of work (and biggest interest).

Background: I was born in China and moved to the US with my family when I was 5. Growing up, I spoke Mandarin with my family, but in high school I began learning Spanish and Russian. After studying in both those countries during college, I am now fluent in Spanish (including speaking) and proficient in Russian (though speaking is rusty). I translate both ES and RU (as these long ago surpassed my heritage ZH skills), but currently all my jobs are for Russian (mostly pharmaceutical, some business and finance which I enjoy more).

I am now 22 and two years out of university. I would like to improve my Russian speaking and overall vocabulary first, then maybe my Chinese (which has remained at the level of a 5-year old's, reading included =x). My goal is to segue into interpretation, and perhaps even upgrade these pairs from C to B languages.

At first I was looking at European schools (ESIT in Paris and ETI in Geneva), as A) they are highly rated, B) I already have an excellent foundation in French, and C) let's just say it, I'd much rather live in Europe (long-term, at least) than Russia or China, more for cultural than economic reasons. But I'm confident enough in my listening/speaking for ES only; my RU and ZH still need more work (in the latter's case, a lot of work as I've barely studied it in an academic context; indeed, I quit Chinese school twice as a girl).

I guess I'm looking for career advice since there aren't many peers nearby I can ask. I have a bit of an uncommon linguistic background where I'm more interested in working in my adult-acquired languages rather than my heritage one. (It's always a long conversation explaining to people that I'm a Chinese girl from Ohio who translates Spanish and Russian for a living.) And my pairs are in unrelated but all major languages, so there aren't integrated, multiple-language programs (like LEA) that are suitable for me (or my RU needs more work to enter them, i.e., for ETI). But if it's not evident already, I love languages and know this is what I want to do, at least for the foreseeable future.

Currently I'm applying for TEFL positions in Russia, but I'd like to enter a T&I program for native English linguists while I'm there. I looked at Moscow State Higher School of Translation's offerings but they don't seem to offer English as an A language for interpreting? (Sorry, can't find the link now.)

Lastly, any applied language programs would be welcome. My idea is for languages, once I'm fully capacitada in them, to segue into a business position.

Sorry for the length, I don't have many peers I can tell all this to, so thank you very much for reading. Also thanks in advance for any advice.
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:49
French to English
+ ...
Do you want a LANGUAGE program or a TRANSLATION/INTERPRETING program? Nov 12, 2011

There are many decent language programs around the world, but amazingly few good translation schools. If you want the latter, one good choice would be Monterey Institute of International Studies. Not sure about Chinese and Spanish, but their Russian program is quite good. In particular, Professor Falaleyev at MIIS is, in my opinion, one of the best Russian-English simultaneous interpreters in the world, and a very talented educator as well.

Lily Zhang
Lily Zhang
Local time: 08:49
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 17, 2011

Thanks for the response, Anton. I suppose I'm more interested in an interpreting program. But I need to improve my Russian listening first, and I'm pretty sure I want to study overseas rather than in my native US for the immersion.

So, I'm going to apply for TEFL positions in Russia, or perhaps even an in-house translation/consulting position.

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! Post-grad programs for RU/ES/ZH>EN

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »