Thread poster: Jacqueline Sieben
Jacqueline Sieben
Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:06
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2010

Last Friday night, I was asked to do a rush Q&A job over the weekend by a New York based translation agency. The PM eventually agreed to the rate per word that I had offered and a colleague of his uploaded the files to their system. However, the task did not specify the rate per word, so I sent two emails informing both PMs that once the rate was included, I would accept the task and proceed to work.

However, the task suddenly disappeared from their system after this request. I ask
... See more
Last Friday night, I was asked to do a rush Q&A job over the weekend by a New York based translation agency. The PM eventually agreed to the rate per word that I had offered and a colleague of his uploaded the files to their system. However, the task did not specify the rate per word, so I sent two emails informing both PMs that once the rate was included, I would accept the task and proceed to work.

However, the task suddenly disappeared from their system after this request. I asked what had happened and the PM, who had initially offered the job, replied that he had not been able to update the task as requested and that I would be contacted by another colleague the next day. I never heard from him or any of his colleagues again... very odd.

Did anyone of you ever had such a strange experience with a translation agency?
Collapse

S E (X)
S E (X)
Italy
Italian to English
sounds familiar... Nov 1, 2010

I recently did some work for an agency in New York, almost always rush rush jobs for major end clients, often over the weekend, some translation, some editing, always wanted a commitment from me yes or no before discussing the fee, I almost always had to push for a written work order. I had to turn down nearly half the offers made by this agency, due to prior commitments. After a fast and furious two weeks of accepting and receiving new jobs from them, for a wide variety of important end clients... See more
I recently did some work for an agency in New York, almost always rush rush jobs for major end clients, often over the weekend, some translation, some editing, always wanted a commitment from me yes or no before discussing the fee, I almost always had to push for a written work order. I had to turn down nearly half the offers made by this agency, due to prior commitments. After a fast and furious two weeks of accepting and receiving new jobs from them, for a wide variety of important end clients, and daily, sometimes hourly contact, they have disappeared from my inbox. It's not exactly your situation, but to me, your story sounds very similar if only because none of the other agencies that I work with do business in an even remotely similar way, whereas the "energy" of your PM seems a lot like that of mine.Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:06
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
New York New York Nov 1, 2010

... the city that never sleeps. And they suppose you don't sleep either.

They take anyone who will deliver on the rush.

kittilina
kittilina  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
The disappearing agencies Nov 1, 2010

Yes, I had a similar experience on a rush job. I received a flurry of emails and also the job itself. However, when I requested a purchase order (I only work without them when I know the agency well, and even then it would be rare) it all went silent. They completely disappeared!

Jacqueline Sieben
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Expecting 24-hour availability Nov 1, 2010

.. is no problem in my case: I am available for work overnight and on the weekends, but taking up my time for nothing and deleting the job from the system without any notification (I had to enquire myself) is clearly not a good way of doing business.

It's a good thing I did not start the job without getting my rate confirmed. I would probably have been screwed afterwards...

[Edited at 2010-11-01 18:11 GMT]

Jacqueline Sieben
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Confirms my suspicion Nov 1, 2010

kittilina wrote:

Yes, I had a similar experience on a rush job. I received a flurry of emails and also the job itself. However, when I requested a purchase order (I only work without them when I know the agency well, and even then it would be rare) it all went silent. They completely disappeared!

Thank you kittilina, it confirms my suspicion. I did the right thing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange communication with PM

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »