Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:57
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2011

Hello,

Have any of you ever been asked to do paraphrasing? I've just seen a job post looking for a "paraphrasing expert - academic texts".

Well, I do a lot of proofreading, much of it having been written by learners of English and consequently there's a lot of "paraphrasing" involved if, indeed, this is just a euphemism for "correcting". Do you think that's what it is? Maybe I'm an expert in something I never knew existed, or maybe it's something different.

... See more
Hello,

Have any of you ever been asked to do paraphrasing? I've just seen a job post looking for a "paraphrasing expert - academic texts".

Well, I do a lot of proofreading, much of it having been written by learners of English and consequently there's a lot of "paraphrasing" involved if, indeed, this is just a euphemism for "correcting". Do you think that's what it is? Maybe I'm an expert in something I never knew existed, or maybe it's something different.

Sheila
Collapse

Sarah Swift
Sarah Swift  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:57
German to English
Paraphrasing experts and other odd jobs Feb 3, 2011

I've never worked as a "paraphrasing expert," but I think the poster is looking for an editor who can re-write content so that the wording is different but the meaning is more or less unchanged. Summarizing an academic paper to turn it into a press release would probably involve paraphasing the author's main ideas, for example.

When I worked as an English teacher, we used to ask students to paraphrase texts quite regularly because having to reproduce content without being a
... See more
I've never worked as a "paraphrasing expert," but I think the poster is looking for an editor who can re-write content so that the wording is different but the meaning is more or less unchanged. Summarizing an academic paper to turn it into a press release would probably involve paraphasing the author's main ideas, for example.

When I worked as an English teacher, we used to ask students to paraphrase texts quite regularly because having to reproduce content without being allowed to use the same words forced them to expand their vocabulary (and to use a wider range of structures.)
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
This cynics view Feb 3, 2011

Is that it's something completely different to "correcting". As I'm not a paying member I can't see who the poster is, but my first thought on reading the posting was that "paraphrasing" in this context is very closely related to "plagiarism". What other reason could you have for paraphrasing an academic text?*

There are numerous sites that offer to sell essays, dissertation, etc. Problem with these rehashed texts is that most universities nowadays use special software to detect thi
... See more
Is that it's something completely different to "correcting". As I'm not a paying member I can't see who the poster is, but my first thought on reading the posting was that "paraphrasing" in this context is very closely related to "plagiarism". What other reason could you have for paraphrasing an academic text?*

There are numerous sites that offer to sell essays, dissertation, etc. Problem with these rehashed texts is that most universities nowadays use special software to detect this. Maybe this is a deluxe version that offers to change "the cat sat on the mat" to "the feline was positioned on the rug" in order to avoid detection?

* Please note that this is just my initial feelings without any knowledge of the job poster or the actual job. Purely based on me being a cynic.
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
To Sarah Feb 3, 2011

Sarah Swift wrote:

Summarizing an academic paper to turn it into a press release would probably involve paraphasing the author's main ideas, for example.

When I worked as an English teacher, we used to ask students to paraphrase texts quite regularly because having to reproduce content without being allowed to use the same words forced them to expand their vocabulary (and to use a wider range of structures.)

Do you really think summarising or producing an abstract equals paraphrasing?

I might be wrong, and I have no idea of the poster's native language, but mistaking these terms seems a bit too far-fetched to me.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think you're right, Madeleine Feb 3, 2011

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:
my first thought on reading the posting was that "paraphrasing" in this context is very closely related to "plagiarism". What other reason could you have for paraphrasing an academic text?*

* Please note that this is just my initial feelings without any knowledge of the job poster or the actual job. Purely based on me being a cynic.

I hadn't actually seen it here but I've looked now. I am a member and although I can't tell the company name (as the job is now closed), they were just a "logged-in visitor" with no BB entry and, wait for it ... they were offering the princely sum of 5-8 USD per HOUR.

I suppose the fact that it's closed means they found someone to do the job. Another lost opportunity!

Sheila

Sarah Swift
German to English
@ Madeleine Feb 3, 2011

No, of course summarizing isn't the same thing as paraphrasing.

But summarizing texts, or rewriting texts for different audiences, can certainly involve some paraphrasing along the way.

The reason summarizing came to my mind as a possible area where paraphrasing skills could be deployed is that I was thinking of applications such as writing abstracts of academic papers or writing press releases based on their content.

Of course there is also a distinctly d
... See more
No, of course summarizing isn't the same thing as paraphrasing.

But summarizing texts, or rewriting texts for different audiences, can certainly involve some paraphrasing along the way.

The reason summarizing came to my mind as a possible area where paraphrasing skills could be deployed is that I was thinking of applications such as writing abstracts of academic papers or writing press releases based on their content.

Of course there is also a distinctly dubious market where academic papers are reproduced in full in paraphrase form, as you have pointed out.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
The difference.. Feb 3, 2011

Yes, Sheila, when you move the words around while correcting a text, that's technically - paraphrasing. Of course, while doing so, you must retain the meaning.

The difference is in the fact that you can paraphrase a completely grammatically correct text, while "correction" implies that the text wasn't correct or didn't flow well.

However, how they put it "paraphrasing expert" that phrase itself requires paraphrasing. What does that mean anyway. It's practically "rewriti
... See more
Yes, Sheila, when you move the words around while correcting a text, that's technically - paraphrasing. Of course, while doing so, you must retain the meaning.

The difference is in the fact that you can paraphrase a completely grammatically correct text, while "correction" implies that the text wasn't correct or didn't flow well.

However, how they put it "paraphrasing expert" that phrase itself requires paraphrasing. What does that mean anyway. It's practically "rewriting".

Why would someone need to paraphrase otherwise healthy text; the only thing that comes to mind is academic writing with lots of references to the text being paraphrased. So instead of copying large amounts of text, it'd be fair just to paraphrase them. Or if someone wants to steal someone else's ideas by just paraphrasing them, and then signing their name as author ( of course, this is illegal), but unfortunately people do such things.

[Edited at 2011-02-03 20:42 GMT]
Collapse

Sarah Swift
German to English
(some) academics recycle content all the time Feb 3, 2011

It's not unusual for slightly different variants of the same paper to be given at several conferences or published in several journals. In big-budget areas such as pharmaceutical research, I wouldn't be surprised if copywriters were deployed to take some of the "sameness" out of these presentations.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Copying and paraphrasing.. Feb 3, 2011

.. is not illegal, provided you have named the source.

What's illegal however is to copy or to paraphrase a text or portions of text without naming the source(s). That's why it's called APA style academic writing.

Now imagine 100 people did this without naming the source, so the first original source will be lost forever. And the author's credit trashed.

This is generally important in all niches, but particularly in academic writing where people spend a lot
... See more
.. is not illegal, provided you have named the source.

What's illegal however is to copy or to paraphrase a text or portions of text without naming the source(s). That's why it's called APA style academic writing.

Now imagine 100 people did this without naming the source, so the first original source will be lost forever. And the author's credit trashed.

This is generally important in all niches, but particularly in academic writing where people spend a lot of time researching, and on trials, etc. And then want to get a credit for it. Then someone else just comes along and says they researched it, they did the trial and made conclusions, because they sign their name without naming the real source.

Ideally, I'd put the sources at the top, although in APA style they come at the bottom of an article.

[Edited at 2011-02-03 21:06 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
self-plagiarism Feb 4, 2011

Hello Sarah,
while it is not unusual, it is very annoying when academics republish more or less identical research in multiple places. With two exceptions, of course: (1) collections of their own work that bring together numerous hard-to-find articles, (2) summaries of their previous relevant research within new publications that presents substantial new results. (This also does not apply to unpublished presentations.)

The APA refers to the negative practice as "self-plagiaris
... See more
Hello Sarah,
while it is not unusual, it is very annoying when academics republish more or less identical research in multiple places. With two exceptions, of course: (1) collections of their own work that bring together numerous hard-to-find articles, (2) summaries of their previous relevant research within new publications that presents substantial new results. (This also does not apply to unpublished presentations.)

The APA refers to the negative practice as "self-plagiarism" and it is not much less problematic for efficient academic work than traditional plagiarism.

Sincerely,
Michael
Collapse

Sarah Swift
German to English
unethical to assist with self-plagiarism? Feb 4, 2011

Hello Michael,

In my book, it would be less unethical for a translator/editor/"paraphrasing expert" to assist a self-plagiarizer than to help a real plagiarizer, even though both practices are contemptible. The self-plagiarizer's peers generally know what he is up to, even if finding out can be tedious, and they can choose to collude or intervene. Far fewer people are party to the deception of an "ordinary" plagiarizer, and therefore those who are need to cry wolf.

Wou
... See more
Hello Michael,

In my book, it would be less unethical for a translator/editor/"paraphrasing expert" to assist a self-plagiarizer than to help a real plagiarizer, even though both practices are contemptible. The self-plagiarizer's peers generally know what he is up to, even if finding out can be tedious, and they can choose to collude or intervene. Far fewer people are party to the deception of an "ordinary" plagiarizer, and therefore those who are need to cry wolf.

Would you allow the publication of near-identical research in a different language as a third exceptional case where self-plagiarism is acceptable? Ideally this would take the form of translations which are explicitly acknowledged as such. The waters are muddier when texts are translated, but then tweaked slightly and not published as translations. I know this sometimes happens with medical textbooks, although that's not a genre I work with myself.

Sarah
Collapse

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
I forgot translations! Feb 4, 2011

Hello Sarah,
Ouch! I forgot translations, which are, of course, a legitimate reason to republish identical scholarship and make it accessible to those who cannot read the original text.

I also agree with the rest of what you wrote.

Sincerely,
Michael

Bilbo Baggins
Bilbo Baggins
Catalan to English
+ ...
Agree Feb 4, 2011

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

There are numerous sites that offer to sell essays, dissertation, etc. Problem with these rehashed texts is that most universities nowadays use special software to detect this. Maybe this is a deluxe version that offers to change "the cat sat on the mat" to "the feline was positioned on the rug" in order to avoid detection?

When I see 'paraphrasing' used in conjunction with 'academic texts', that is also my first thought: someone is possibly creating a text on the basis of material copied and pasted from the WWW (PubMed, possibly, if biomed) and now wants someone to disguise the text as their own.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is involved in "paraphrasing"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »