Discussion about 27th translation contest: "Stories about nature" in English to Lithuanian

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com contests - discussion of competition in specific pairs » "Discussion about 27th translation contest: "Stories about nature" in English to Lithuanian".
You can see the ProZ.com contests - discussion of competition in specific pairs page and participate in this discussion from there.

Rytis B.
Rytis B.
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:46
Member (2021)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Reflection & thoughts Jan 3, 2022

Thank you for an interesting contest text. The rules and functionality for voting & reviewing others could have been indicated better, i.e. it was impossible to vote for others other than giving them the 1st place although I might have wanted to give somebody the 2nd place, etc. Besides, I didn't know I could actually mark somebody else's work. Was there only a specific person allocated to do that? Constructive criticism is always good for improvement, yet some markings might be seen as debatabl... See more
Thank you for an interesting contest text. The rules and functionality for voting & reviewing others could have been indicated better, i.e. it was impossible to vote for others other than giving them the 1st place although I might have wanted to give somebody the 2nd place, etc. Besides, I didn't know I could actually mark somebody else's work. Was there only a specific person allocated to do that? Constructive criticism is always good for improvement, yet some markings might be seen as debatable, e.g. regarding the Lithuanian word order (of course, there are certain conventions, but since when does Lithuanian have a rigid word order, especially in literary texts?) or mistranslations (I would think it is almost impossible to translate literary texts without employing indirect translation techniques such as transposition, reformulation, adaptation, etc.). Smooth style is probably very difficult to achieve whilst staying true to the original source text but at the same time trying to sound absolutely natural in the target text. Thank you and happy new year!Collapse

Gabriele Foy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discussion about 27th translation contest: "Stories about nature" in English to Lithuanian

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »