Thread poster: traductorchile
traductorchile
traductorchile  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 23:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 13, 2010

I’d like to hear opinions on a situation I have encountered and that might reflect a misuse of the BlueBoard system, and might affect its usefulness to service providers:

I was contacted through the Connect system by an outsourcer XXX asking me to apply to a job (the outsourcer was quoting to a Tender).
The outsourcer is a company with various branches in different countries.
The person managing the project belongs to the branch in country A.
At the bottom of the
... See more
I’d like to hear opinions on a situation I have encountered and that might reflect a misuse of the BlueBoard system, and might affect its usefulness to service providers:

I was contacted through the Connect system by an outsourcer XXX asking me to apply to a job (the outsourcer was quoting to a Tender).
The outsourcer is a company with various branches in different countries.
The person managing the project belongs to the branch in country A.
At the bottom of the Connect Job offer he puts two links, one to a company’s profile that belongs to the branch in country A and mentions him in their staff (Branch History), and the other link takes you to a BlueBoard history that belongs to the company’s branch in country B (with good BlueBoard figures).
The project manager signs his mails as an agent or representative of the branch in country C, according to him because the branch in country C is managing this Tender request.
Another source of information says that all worldwide payments of this company are being processed at country A. The Blueboard of country A branch doesn’t have such good figures as those of the branch in country B. The BlueBoard figures of the country C branch are the worst of all.

This might be an accident, but obviously a convenient one.

Now, one must consider that every company can improve their past procedures, trying to change bad BlueBoard figures. Also, bad BlueBoard figures can be due to impatience or non discussed expectations from the part of a translator.

With all considered, shouldn’t there be a technical barrier for a company to use the BlueBoard profile of a branch that isn’t the one managing a project or job offer? Shouldn’t this company be warned that this kind of situations aren’t acceptable? I haven’t found a rule in the job posting system related to this, can someone correct me?
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Please submit a support request Aug 13, 2010

Hello traductorchile,

Thanks for reporting this. Note that, though there is no specific Blue Board rule covering the situation you describe, general site rule #6 states that misrepresentation is forbidden at ProZ.com. Hence, in order to look into this further, and take action if deemed appropriate, would you
... See more
Hello traductorchile,

Thanks for reporting this. Note that, though there is no specific Blue Board rule covering the situation you describe, general site rule #6 states that misrepresentation is forbidden at ProZ.com. Hence, in order to look into this further, and take action if deemed appropriate, would you mind submitting a support request containing a copy of the notification you received and a link to the Blue Board records you refer to in your post? This will help me look into this further.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Lucia
Collapse

traductorchile
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Lucia Aug 13, 2010

I did post a support request, but the answer I got didn't answer this issue, so I posted a "company-anonymous" version here because I'm not sure if only one case is enough to consider it an issue, so I'd like to hear opinions.
http://www.proz.com/ticket/214381

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Blue Board records and affiliations for this company will be reviewed Aug 13, 2010

Thanks for your reply, traductorchile.

Actually, I found your support request after posting my reply here. I apologize for asking you to submit one before checking further. My bad.

I just investigated further the situation you report here and via support and posted my reply to your support request to let you know the facts gathered and the steps to be taken in this case.

But, just for the record, I would like to make it clear that the links listed at the b
... See more
Thanks for your reply, traductorchile.

Actually, I found your support request after posting my reply here. I apologize for asking you to submit one before checking further. My bad.

I just investigated further the situation you report here and via support and posted my reply to your support request to let you know the facts gathered and the steps to be taken in this case.

But, just for the record, I would like to make it clear that the links listed at the bottom of job offers sent via the connect message system are automatically added by the system depending on the Blue Board affiliated to the profile sending the job message. This means that the job poster in this case was not impersonating anyone or listing fake information. Like you say in your post, this may be taken as an "accident" caused by the Blue Board linking system.

In any case, and like I mention in my reply to your support request, I will continue investigating this to make sure that all branches / Blue Board records for this company and profile affiliations are correct to avoid any further misunderstandings.

Thanks again for taking the time to investigate this and for reporting it through the support system.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

traductorchile
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great work Lucia Aug 13, 2010

I'm sorry to give you so much work Lucia, because as you say so many branches mean a lot of connections. In fact at this time I'm trying to learn asp.net, PHP and some other web page building stuff and for me its a great mush of noodles that can easily get mixed up.

Hope you can disentangle the mesh so no one gets confused like I did, and end up blaming anyone, least the wrong person.

Thanks for your help.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
My pleasure, traductorchile. Aug 13, 2010

Have a great weekend!

Regards,

Lücia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible inconsistency in Blue Board and outsourcer linking

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »