How do we know if our quote is accepted?
Thread poster: Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:39
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 18, 2012

I am new to the quoting system. So how do we know if our quote is accepted when the job closes?

Do we get an e-mail about it? Will it show up in the Proz.com on-line system?

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I really need to know.

Thanks,
Sarah

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:39
Hebrew to English
It's all a bit messy Aug 18, 2012

Official line:
"The outsourcer will review all the quotes they receive. It may take a couple of days before they do that- it will depend on the deadline for the project. The outsourcer is asked to send a note saying "No Action Yet", "No Thank You or "Accept" to all people who quoted on the job. Note that the outsourcer is not required to do this, and if they choose not to, then you will not receive any notification on whether you were chose
... See more
Official line:
"The outsourcer will review all the quotes they receive. It may take a couple of days before they do that- it will depend on the deadline for the project. The outsourcer is asked to send a note saying "No Action Yet", "No Thank You or "Accept" to all people who quoted on the job. Note that the outsourcer is not required to do this, and if they choose not to, then you will not receive any notification on whether you were chosen or not."
http://www.proz.com/faq/3148#3148

and

"ProZ.com does not take a hands-on role in jobs.

Receiving an email from the outsourcer means that your quote has been accepted and the outsourcer would like to assign the project to you."
http://www.proz.com/faq/3154#3154

It's been a loooong time since I really participated in the jobs system on here but I do remember I had several quotes accepted but only ever received one official "acceptance", the others just emailed me directly.

Basically, if you hear from them once the job is closed - you got it, if you don't - then it's probably gone to someone else (although if things fall through you may still hear from them).

So, I guess it just depends on the outsourcer.

[Edited at 2012-08-18 20:45 GMT]
Collapse

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Response varies Aug 18, 2012

Some job posters never reply.
Some use the function in the system to advise you that your quotation has been accepted or rejected.
Some job posters have already allocated the job before the closing time and date specified on the job posting - and before you have even submitted your quotation.

Yes, as translators, we really do need to know the answer for planning purposes.

I have only done it once, but you could send an e-mail asking the job poster to confirm
... See more
Some job posters never reply.
Some use the function in the system to advise you that your quotation has been accepted or rejected.
Some job posters have already allocated the job before the closing time and date specified on the job posting - and before you have even submitted your quotation.

Yes, as translators, we really do need to know the answer for planning purposes.

I have only done it once, but you could send an e-mail asking the job poster to confirm whether the job has been assigned or not. This query may or may not elicit a response. Do not hold your breath!

If you do not receive a reply within an hour, say, during the normal working hours of the outsourcer, it is normally safe to assume you can accept other work, or plan your life assuming that someone else has been allocated the job.
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Alternatively Aug 18, 2012

You can hover over "jobs & directories" and click on "my quotes". There is a column there which indicates the status of the quote but my experience has been that most outsourcers don't follow through with the procedure and it ends up saying "none". I wouldn't rely on this though and just wait for an email from the outsourcer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do we know if our quote is accepted?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »