Year-end report to members, 2009
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 16:52
SITE STAFF
Nov 13, 2009

Dear members,

The year-end membership campaign will be starting shortly. As you know, members make ProZ.com possible, so first of all, thank you for supporting the site!

To report on the advancements made in this second half of the year:

• The first ProZ.com virtual conference, held on 30 September, attracted a level of participation that is unprecedented in our industry. With nearl... See more
  • Dear members,

The year-end membership campaign will be starting shortly. As you know, members make ProZ.com possible, so first of all, thank you for supporting the site!

To report on the advancements made in this second half of the year:

• The first ProZ.com virtual conference, held on 30 September, attracted a level of participation that is unprecedented in our industry. With nearly 7000 attendees, this event was the largest gathering of translators in history. (The conference remains "open" for those who still wish to visit -- follow the link to view presentations, etc.)

• The moderator program was renewed in August. Many members submitted applications and about eighty (80) new moderators were welcomed aboard. (Rotation will be yearly; applications are already being received for next year's moderator class.)

• Face-to-face conferences have been held at venues in the following cities so far this year:

- Dortmund, Germany
    - Wrocław, Poland
    - Ortona - Abruzzo, Italy (Winespeak)
    - Ohrid, Macedonia (International conference)
    - Santiago, Chile
    - São Paulo, Brazil
    - Jerez de la Frontera, Spain (Winespeak)
    - La Plata, Argentina
    - Barcelona, Spain

And the following conferences will be held before the end of December:

- Soesterberg, Netherlands
    - Vienna, Austria
    - Bangkok, Thailand
    - Nice, France

• Job flow on the site, while down in the middle of the year, bounced back to 2008 levels over the last few months; client activity in October was the highest on record.

• KudoZ usage has grown: over 10,000 people a day now search the KudoZ archive.

• The Certified PRO Network (CPN) continues to grow, allowing members greater networking and collaborative opportunities. There are currently over 2,000 members in the CPN, and this number continues to rise as members continue to apply to the network.

• The 9th translation contest (theme: "Business") continued to build on the contest experience; this time around, 775 members submitted entries, and there were 1,045 voters in the qualification rounds (an all-time high for contest participation). Congratulations to the contest winners, and to all who have participated in making these opportunities for learning and fun an ongoing success.

• A new homepage for non-logged in visitors was released (log out to check it out, but be sure to log back in afterward!) The new design presents in a clearer manner the tools available at ProZ.com to language professionals and outsourcers who may be visiting the site for the first time.

• The menu tabs at the top of site pages were re-designed (click on the "Try the new menu" link at the top of your page above the tabs if you have not already). Items are categorized more simply, with easier access to second-level pages. Most of the items previously under the "My ProZ.com" tab, along with account and membership information, have now been grouped in a menu reachable by mousing over your name at the top of the page.

• Site navigation in general has undergone several improvements to make navigation and access to information and tools easier and quicker. These improvements will continue in the coming months. Thank you to the site members who have participated in providing feedback and further improving these changes.

• To improve the control of tracking, notifications, and home page view of forums, the forum dashboard was introduced. (Thank you Sheila and Katalin for coming up with this!)

• The option to add a Twitter feed to your profile was introduced. (Thanks to Erik Hansson and Erich Hegenberger!)

• A new "turn-key" translation service was introduced. For ProZ.com members, this new service provides one more channel for meeting new clients. For outsourcers, the service is a way to get a small job done quickly, without the overhead of posting and filtering candidates.

• Willingness to Work Again (WWA) entries reached a milestone in June: over 10,000 translators now show positive client feedback in their profiles.

• ProZ.com suffered a security breach in June. In response, a program was launched internally to tighten security and further protect member data. ProZ.com privacy and data protection practices have been updated to conform to the EU Safe Harbor framework, as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce and the European Union, and ProZ.com has earned the TRUSTe EU Safe Harbor Certification. See the ProZ.com privacy policy for more information.

• The number of glossary-building KudoZ (GBK) questions rose. There have now been over 7,000 GBK questions (English to 42 different languages). More than 4,000 translators have answered GBK questions (70% of them new answerers). The GBK glossary is more useful as a result.

• Training: ProZ.com became the exclusive SDL approved online training center. Live online training in a virtual classroom setting is now also available, and self-paced training programs will be released shortly.

• Videos: there are now nearly 100 videos available in the ProZ.com video center. Members who have video content of value to other translators can now make that content available, either for free or for a fee, via this new site area.

• The online invoicing tool introduced earlier this year continues to be improved, thanks to the helpful feedback of members who are using it (to date, over 2,500 translators have invoiced using this feature).

Appreciation

Many members contributed to the accomplishments listed above, and many other changes and improvements to the site. In particular, I would like to thank the following members for community activities, suggestions or feedback that influenced activities this year (moderators have also contributed significantly, but are not listed here):

The previous team of site moderators, Angela Arnone, Susan Welsh, Ekin Ay, Katalin Horvath McClure, ICL, Sheila Wilson, Paola Ludovici MacQuarrie, Oleg Rudavin, John Cutler, Nikki Graham, Cindy Chadd, Erik Hansson, Conference organizers and conference sponsors, Caryl Swift, Fabio Descalzi, Patricia Rosas, Siegfried Armbruster, Ángel Domínguez, Oleg Tulupov, Mihai Badea, Katarina Peters, Claudia Iglesias, and many, many others.

Once again, and on behalf of the ProZ.com team, thank you site members for your support.

For those who are not yet ProZ.com members, the theme of the year-end campaign will be "ProZ.com. It starts here." Now is a good time to reflect on the coming year, what you want for yourself professionally and where you would like to take your business in 2010 and the next decade. Consider using ProZ.com as a serious tool to get there and to open the way to new opportunities, new clients and smarter business.

Happy translating,

Jared
    Member services
    ProZ.com

If you are a translator or you work with translators, the ProZ.com mission statement explains how the site works for you: By providing tools and opportunities for you to network, expand your business, improve your work, and have more fun.
    Collapse

•  
    Nikki Graham
    Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 20:52
    Spanish to English
    D&R Board Nov 13, 2009

Hi Jared,

Many thanks for the mention, but I think you forgot to add what I was actually involved in (along with Cindy Chadd) to your list, so here's a little plug for the Dictionary and Reference Board.

http://www.proz.com/references/?sp_mode=search

Hope people find a minute or two to add something to it.

Thanks

Nikki

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Dictionary and reference board Nov 13, 2009

Hi Nikki,

Since the Dictionary and reference board was released in March, I had not included it here, that's true-- it should be pointed out that the D&R team's contributions went beyond seeing the board to release, since upkeep is ongoing. A plug never hurts, of course, and I'd like to echo Nikki's invitation to everyone to visit the board and browse what is there, add any works you have worked with, and provide feedback on the records. Thanks!

Jared

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
    Murad AWAD
    Murad AWAD  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Local time: 21:52
    English to Arabic
    + ...

Congratulations Nov 16, 2009

Dear Jared, dear valued Proz.com site team

I'm so happy to read all these great news, I want to send my thanks for every person who worked hardly to get this success,I wish all the best for every member in Proz.com.

Dear Jared, I have to questions,

1- For the year 2010, do we have Online Training Courses,is it going to be increased?
    2-Are applications for moderator program still open, I'm thinking to apply in my pairs (Turkish-Arabic).

B
    ... See more
    Dear Jared, dear valued Proz.com site team

I'm so happy to read all these great news, I want to send my thanks for every person who worked hardly to get this success,I wish all the best for every member in Proz.com.

Dear Jared, I have to questions,

1- For the year 2010, do we have Online Training Courses,is it going to be increased?
    2-Are applications for moderator program still open, I'm thinking to apply in my pairs (Turkish-Arabic).

Best regards.

Murad AWAD
    Collapse

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thanks Murad Nov 16, 2009

Hello Murad,

Thanks for your kind words. And the answer is yes to both of your questions. Look for more online courses, as well as "self-paced" courses (online training which you can complete in your own time and at your own pace), and you may apply for a moderator class whenever you wish.

Best regards,

Jared

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Year-end report to members, 2009

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
    TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »