Katja Vuorisalo
Katja Vuorisalo  Identity Verified
Финляндия
Local time: 15:45
французский => финский
+ ...
Jan 22, 2006

Hello,
I wonder if someone who knows more about this could answer me...I have a Norman Virus Control and a firewall in my computer. For some time ago, the firewall started to act strange, it kept appearing all the time and I had to accept every page at least ten times before I could go further. Then I read somewhere in support pages that I should uninstall and then reinstall the firewall. I did that, and now I don't have the problem anymore but now: Is it normal that I never see the Firewa
... See more
Hello,
I wonder if someone who knows more about this could answer me...I have a Norman Virus Control and a firewall in my computer. For some time ago, the firewall started to act strange, it kept appearing all the time and I had to accept every page at least ten times before I could go further. Then I read somewhere in support pages that I should uninstall and then reinstall the firewall. I did that, and now I don't have the problem anymore but now: Is it normal that I never see the Firewall-window anymore asking me "Do you want to accept this page?" or something like that as it used to ask me before? However, I see in Control panel that the Firewall is "in use" but why doesn't it ask me to accept the pages anymore? Thank you very much in before hand!
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
Великобритания
Local time: 13:45
немецкий => английский
+ ...
See the firewall's settings Jan 22, 2006

katerina100 wrote:
Hello,
I wonder if someone who knows more about this could answer me...I have a Norman Virus Control and a firewall in my computer.
...etc...

However, I see in Control panel that the Firewall is "in use" but why doesn't it ask me to accept the pages anymore? Thank you very much in before hand!

You didn't say which firewall it is, but I would say the general approach would be: right-click the firewall's icon in the task bar. From there, navigate to the control of the firewall's configuration settings and see whether any of those explains its behaviour. If it doesn't have an icon in the task bar, you should be able to find those settings through some other route, perhaps Start>Programs...
If it's Windows XP's own firewall, I think you can open it from the Control Panel or from the Security Center. Remember there may be several tabs in the firewall dialog box. It's worth looking at these; you don't have to change anything you don't understand.
Oliver

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Германия
Local time: 14:45
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Reinstallation uses the old settings Jan 23, 2006

Similar to when you reinstall a browser, the previous user settings are sometimes maintained.
To check them, right-click the icon and find the section with the program settings.
The settings usually have three options for each program that wants to access the Inet: Ask User / Allow / Refuse (or simillar terms).
Sometimes, the change option becomes visible when your mouse pointer is on the field with the '?' / 'tick' / 'X'

HTH John

[Edited at 2006-01-2
... See more
Similar to when you reinstall a browser, the previous user settings are sometimes maintained.
To check them, right-click the icon and find the section with the program settings.
The settings usually have three options for each program that wants to access the Inet: Ask User / Allow / Refuse (or simillar terms).
Sometimes, the change option becomes visible when your mouse pointer is on the field with the '?' / 'tick' / 'X'

HTH John

[Edited at 2006-01-23 09:25]

[Edited at 2006-01-23 09:27]
Collapse

Katja Vuorisalo
Katja Vuorisalo  Identity Verified
Финляндия
Local time: 15:45
французский => финский
+ ...
Автор темы
thanks for advise John and Oliver Jan 23, 2006

[quote]Oliver Walter wrote:

You didn't say which firewall it is, but I would say the general approach would be: right-click the firewall's icon in the task bar.

It's WindowsXP's own firewall. I checked it from the Control Panel > Firewall settings and I see it's in use and I reset it like that after reinstallation. In More settings, you can choose between many things. But I'm not sure what to click and if they have changed after reinstallation of Norman Virus Control. If the firewall says it's in use, shouldn't it work already then? But it's "silent", I don't even notice I have a firewall when I use my computer. Maybe I'll have to read more information from the Help-menu. Thanks for help anyway!

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
Великобритания
Local time: 13:45
немецкий => английский
+ ...
I use ZoneAlarm Jan 23, 2006

katerina100 wrote:

It's WindowsXP's own firewall. I checked it from the Control Panel > Firewall settings and I see it's in use and I reset it like that after reinstallation.

As I said, I don't know details about the XP firewall because I'm still using Windows 98, but I intend to upgrade to XP soon.
When I do, I shall use the latest version of the (free) ZoneAlarm firewall, which is compatible with the one in Win XP (i.e. knows how to replace it safely). I like ZA because

• It works (my experience and reviews in magazines say so)
  • Its icon in the task bar turns into 2 "meters" whenever there is data traffic between my PC and the Internet, so I can easily see when there is data moving in or out, which direction, and roughly how fast.
  • It's easy to train it. It maintains a list of programs that it permits to send data out of the PC. (To my recollection, the list is initially empty.) Whenever a program not in that list tries to send data, ZA pops up and asks whether I want to permit it now, and whether I want to permit it permanently.
  • It's free (!)

You can get it here:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=GB&lang=en&lid=dbtopnav_zass
(I'm promoting it because I like it; I have no commercial interest in ZoneLabs).
Oliver

[Edited at 2006-01-23 23:04]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About firewalls...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »