Thread poster: Katja Vuorisalo
Katja Vuorisalo
Katja Vuorisalo  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:41
French to Finnish
+ ...
Jun 4, 2006

I have got a strange phenomenon on my computer lately: some words are double underlined in a text on any internet page as well as on my e-mails. I haven't noticed this before. Can this be a bug? It is a little annoying, since other people may get some words unintentionally double underlined in my sent e-mails as well in case it is something that comes from my pc. Has anyone heard of this before?

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
French to English
Could be malware Jun 4, 2006

I was infected once by some malware which would underline certain words, thereby turning them into hyperlinks which would take you off to some other site if you were rash enough to click them. It sounds as though you are suffering from something similar.

It was well over a year ago (possibly two years ago) so my memory of the details is a little hazy now, but I think I may have attempted to use either HijackThis (CW Shredder) or Ad-Aware to get rid of it. These can work as a tempora
... See more
I was infected once by some malware which would underline certain words, thereby turning them into hyperlinks which would take you off to some other site if you were rash enough to click them. It sounds as though you are suffering from something similar.

It was well over a year ago (possibly two years ago) so my memory of the details is a little hazy now, but I think I may have attempted to use either HijackThis (CW Shredder) or Ad-Aware to get rid of it. These can work as a temporary solution, altho' I fear that ultimately you may be forced to do as I did, and set up your entire PC again from scratch (having backed up all data files, of course). It's possible that the latest antivirus protection software (Norton, etc.) may now be able to eliminate it without you having to resort to such drastic measures, though.
Collapse

Katja Vuorisalo
Finland
French to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 5, 2006

[I was infected once by some malware which would underline certain words, thereby turning them into hyperlinks which would take you off to some other site if you were rash enough to click them.]

Yes, they are also hyperlinks, I once already clicked one of them, unfortunately.

[It was well over a year ago (possibly two years ago) so my memory of the details is a little hazy now, but I think I may have attempted to use either HijackThis (CW Shredder) or Ad-Aware to get r
... See more
[I was infected once by some malware which would underline certain words, thereby turning them into hyperlinks which would take you off to some other site if you were rash enough to click them.]

Yes, they are also hyperlinks, I once already clicked one of them, unfortunately.

[It was well over a year ago (possibly two years ago) so my memory of the details is a little hazy now, but I think I may have attempted to use either HijackThis (CW Shredder) or Ad-Aware to get rid of it. These can work as a temporary solution, altho' I fear that ultimately you may be forced to do as I did, and set up your entire PC again from scratch (having backed up all data files, of course).]

I hope those antibugwares help me get rid of them. Possibly I have got this through some free music download-softwares because I took my virus protection off for a while, stupid me. If I have to set up my entire pc again (which I hope I won't have to!), does it mean that I have to un- and reinstall ALL programs from the beginning and do backupfiles of EVERYTHING? Sounds like a lot of work!!
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Try to use some online Antivisus Scanner Jun 5, 2006

say,

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

or some other, I guess most of major AV providers provide online scanning/disinfecting option. In any case trying will not do any harm.

Uldis

katerina100 wrote:
does it mean that I have to un- and reinstall ALL programs from the beginning and do backupfiles of EVERYTHING? Sounds like a lot of work!!

Katja Vuorisalo
Finland
French to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, I will try this Jun 6, 2006

[Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

say,

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

or some other, I guess most of major AV providers provide online scanning/disinfecting option. In any case trying will not do any harm.]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Double underline-is this a bug?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »