czajkowskamb
czajkowskamb
Italy
Local time: 15:31
Polish to English
+ ...
Feb 15, 2019

Hi guys! Just a quick question.

I responded to a job posting on proz.com and got a reply saying that I need to provide a number of documents to start working on the project. They asked for:
- Proof of address (e.g. utility bill)
- Proof of ID (e.g. passport, driving licence, ID card)
- Proof of bank details (e.g. bank letter)
I've never had to provide all these documents before and it seems a bit excessive - in some places that's enough to get a loan in some
... See more
Hi guys! Just a quick question.

I responded to a job posting on proz.com and got a reply saying that I need to provide a number of documents to start working on the project. They asked for:
- Proof of address (e.g. utility bill)
- Proof of ID (e.g. passport, driving licence, ID card)
- Proof of bank details (e.g. bank letter)
I've never had to provide all these documents before and it seems a bit excessive - in some places that's enough to get a loan in somebody's name or set up a recurring payment on their account.
The email address it was sent from checks out and the company has good reviews on proz though, so I'm a bit confused now.

Has anybody else been asked for all these documents?
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Seems strange Feb 15, 2019

In more than 15 years as a freelance translator, I do not remember ever being asked to provide such information by agencies anywhere in the world. I can also not imagine why such information would be needed.

So it may be a case of someone impersonating a legitimate agency in order to get your information. Whatever the case, it seems very fishy to me....

Walter Landesman
Katarzyna Slowikova

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Sound fishy Feb 15, 2019

This seems to be someone who is trying to get all your sensitive information a forehand. And then you probably never hear from them again.

When I'm being asked to provide such sensitive information, I politely point out that it will be available on my first invoice. Well, except for my ID. Legitimate customers are happy with this. Those who insist receive a polite thank you, but no thank you. Or, usually, I never hear from them again.

Morano El-Kholy
Walter Landesman
Robert Rietvelt
Kevin Fulton
Josephine Cassar

czajkowskamb
czajkowskamb
Italy
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Feb 15, 2019

I emailed them to ask why they need all of this information and they replied:
"They are a safety measure against the recent upsurge in scammer attacks and online identity frauds we have had to face. We have had a few cases where scammers stole the identity of reputable linguists and provided bad quality output. We strongly believe that this additional security check ensures both ours and your professional integrity and trustworthiness."

I offered to do a test translation then,
... See more
"They are a safety measure against the recent upsurge in scammer attacks and online identity frauds we have had to face. We have had a few cases where scammers stole the identity of reputable linguists and provided bad quality output. We strongly believe that this additional security check ensures both ours and your professional integrity and trustworthiness."

I offered to do a test translation then, if it's quality they are worried about but they ignored my suggestion and said that all the documents are mandatory.

I asked why they want me to send all of these documents before even asking about my rate and preferred method of payment, and they said I just need to specify my rate and they will adjust the budget for each project accordingly.

So I said I'm not comfortable with this arrangement and wished them good luck in finding the best translators for the project

Still don't know if it was scam or not, but even if it wasn't I wouldn't provide all that information to anybody.

[Edited at 2019-02-15 15:28 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Forstag

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 08:31
English to Russian
+ ...
Double trouble? Feb 15, 2019

czajkowskamb wrote:

the company has good reviews on proz though.

Since, as you say, according to the BB there seems to be a reason to respect the company, at least at a first glance, then there is a chance that someone is pretending to be them.

Maybe you need to contact the manager and get a definite confirmation that the request was originated by them?

As a result, either there will be a good reason to question the truthfulness of all those positive reviews and run as fast as you can, or... you might save them and all of us from the impostors and even get more work from the real agency in gratitude:-)

Liviu-Lee Roth

Lian Pang
Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
No way Feb 15, 2019

No, never.

Avoid anyone who asks for such information like a plague.

IrinaN

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:31
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Their justification? Feb 15, 2019

czajkowskamb wrote:
I responded to a job posting on proz.com and got a reply saying that I need to provide a number of documents to start working on the project.

Have you asked them why? And what they intend doing to protect your personal information? Quote GDPR to them. It gives you a right to an answer at the very least.

Personally, unless they could give me an extremely good reason, I would deny them access to any of them. My postal address would be on the first invoice and so would my bank details. If they could give me a good reason for needing it, I could provide them with a certificate from my tax authority declaring that I'm registered as a self-employed person paying tax and social security contributions on my income. But only if they asked specifically for that. Never, ever, would I provide passport, driving licence or a utility bill. They're personal documents, not professional.

Katarzyna Slowikova

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Indeed fishy Feb 15, 2019

Did you examine the email header (or "source", as it's called (at least) in Thunderbird)?
Maybe there's a different return address or some other hidden trick?
Asking them why they need all these documents is a good idea. If they're scammers, they will no doubt write some colossal BS.
Additionally, you may ask on Linkedin or somewhere else where you can name the agency, whether anybody worked with them and was asked the same by the same person.

czajkowskamb
czajkowskamb
Italy
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Email checks out Feb 15, 2019

[quote]Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:

Did you examine the email header (or "source", as it's called (at least) in Thunderbird)?

I did indeed and the email address seems legit even though I'm not an expert. This is why I'm so confused - if it was sent from [email protected] it would have been much easier

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Indeed Feb 15, 2019

czajkowskamb wrote:

... if it was sent from [email protected] it would have been much easier

True.

Still, this request doesn't sound or feel right, and is not supported by anything. Especially if you have never worked with that person before. Of course they would like to know who you are, and you who they are, but this goes too far, raising red flags all over. One has to be careful when dealing with others online. Still, either they trust you or they don't. Even more so since all details will reach them at the latest with your first invoice. Therefore, there is no need for additional "proof".

[Edited at 2019-02-15 16:02 GMT]

czajkowskamb
czajkowskamb
Italy
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will contact the agency Feb 15, 2019

IrinaN wrote:

Maybe you need to contact the manager and get a definite confirmation that the request was originated by them?

I think I will - a) I am really curious now and b) if legit agencies started to ask for sensitive information like that now, god knows what scammers will ask for next - it's just not ok.

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Well done Feb 15, 2019

czajkowskamb wrote:

As if scammers, who specialize in stealing and doctoring documents, will have any problem providing all those docs. Apparently this agency needs to learn hard way how stupid and inefficient their demands are.
You did well refusing them!

...../ )
.....' /
---' (_____
......... ((__)
..... _ ((___)
....... -'((__)
--.___((_)

Sheila Wilson
Thayenga
D. I. Verrelli

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:31
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Works both ways Feb 15, 2019

czajkowskamb wrote:

Yes, well, that works both ways, doesn't it? I would have asked your correspondent to send you their contract of employment with the agency to prove to you that you're dealing with a "real" agent rather than a scammer . After all, if you were a scammer and they'd allowed contingency, they'd just have a rush job on their hands. If they're scammers, you spend time on the job and then you don't get paid. Whose is the greater risk?

I asked why they want me to send all of these documents before even asking about my rate and preferred method of payment, and they said I just need to specify my rate and they will adjust the budget for each project accordingly.

I would never, ever invest in anything more than a brief exchange of emails with a company that hadn't expressly accepted my terms and conditions. No tests, no application forms, no signatures. Even then, I just had a timewaster say they were acceptable and then send me a contract specifying 75-day payment terms !!! They still wanted me to jump through all their hoops just in case something came up where they'd be prepared to pay my rate within my 30-day payment period, but in the end we agreed that they'd just contact me if the need arises. I'm not holding my breath .

Yolanda Broad
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Robert Forstag
Thayenga
Recep Kurt

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this scam?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »