Ulrike Cisar  Identity Verified
ドイツ
Local time: 16:18
2015に入会
フランス語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
Jan 13

Hi,

I´d need some help from someone familiar with Trados 2019. I bought the latest update in autumn, mostly for its OCR software for the conversion of (scanned) PDF files into Word since I receive quite a large number of non-editable PDFs from a certain agency. I hoped the software would save me time and effort but somehow I just don´t see how the conversion of the file in Trados is done. Watching tutorials hasn´t helped, either. Is anybody here willing to help and share some us
... See more
Hi,

I´d need some help from someone familiar with Trados 2019. I bought the latest update in autumn, mostly for its OCR software for the conversion of (scanned) PDF files into Word since I receive quite a large number of non-editable PDFs from a certain agency. I hoped the software would save me time and effort but somehow I just don´t see how the conversion of the file in Trados is done. Watching tutorials hasn´t helped, either. Is anybody here willing to help and share some useful advice?

Thank you!
Collapse

Sonia Cunha-Goldner
米国
Local time: 10:18
2007に入会
英語 から ポルトガル語
Adobe Acrobat DC Jan 13

Hi, I use Adobe Acrobat DC to perform the OCR, and then import the PDF to Trados (I have 2021, but 2019 works too). Sometimes, it works, but sometimes I have to export from Adobe to Word and fix the errors, before importing to SDL Trados as a Word file.

Elena Bailey  Identity Verified
スペイン
メンバー
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
Add pdf directly to project and double-check converted document in project folder Jan 13

I upload the pdf files directly to the project (when creating a new project). Trados converts the file when it "prepares" the project so you can then translate it. I usually double-check that the conversion has been done correctly before starting to translate it by going to the project folder (wherever you have saved it locally or in the cloud), and clicking on the source language folder. In this folder, you should see the original pdf file that you uploaded plus the converted file.
Someti
... See more
I upload the pdf files directly to the project (when creating a new project). Trados converts the file when it "prepares" the project so you can then translate it. I usually double-check that the conversion has been done correctly before starting to translate it by going to the project folder (wherever you have saved it locally or in the cloud), and clicking on the source language folder. In this folder, you should see the original pdf file that you uploaded plus the converted file.
Sometimes Trados struggles with scanned documents or poor quality files, so I also use Adobe in these cases to convert the pdf then I upload the word. But I would say that in general pdf conversion has improved in recent versions of Trados (I use the 2019 version too).
If for some reason your files are not converting at all, maybe double check the "file types" section under "options", then scroll down to see the options selected for pdf files.
Send me a private message if you still have issues and I can send you some screenshots.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Yossi Rozenman

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
ノルウェー
2010に入会
英語 から ノルウェー語(ブークモール)
+ ...
I would invest in an OCR software Jan 14

I never trust the automatic OCR functions, as I find they mostly work well with editable pdf files, and even then the result isn't always satisfactory.

Personally I rather rely on Abby Finereader, which I can recommend. It gives me the option to indicate manually what parts of the document should be OCR-ed, which especially is useful when the PDF is a scanned, and therefore not editable, document. After that I can export it as for instance a Word document, which I can import into St
... See more
I never trust the automatic OCR functions, as I find they mostly work well with editable pdf files, and even then the result isn't always satisfactory.

Personally I rather rely on Abby Finereader, which I can recommend. It gives me the option to indicate manually what parts of the document should be OCR-ed, which especially is useful when the PDF is a scanned, and therefore not editable, document. After that I can export it as for instance a Word document, which I can import into Studio.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
finnword1
Stepan Konev

finnword1
米国
Local time: 10:18
英語 から フィンランド語
+ ...
Use an external OCR software 01:32

I 100% agree with Roy. Do OCR first, using a stand-alone software, then clean up the formatting and possible OCR errors, and import it into whichever CAT tool you use.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert a (scanned) PDF into Word in Trados 2019

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2021
One central location to store and manage multilingual terminology.

By providing access to all those involved in applying terminology (such as engineers, marketers, translators, and terminologists), our terminology management solution ensures consistent and high-quality content from source through to translation.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • 用語検索
  • 仕事
  • フォーラム
  • Multiple search