Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >
In case you've missed it (survey on perceptions and experience of ProZ.com)
Thread poster: Barbara Carrara
Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
Local time: 11:30
SITE STAFF
Your perception is different than mine, and that's okay Feb 8

ibz wrote:

I don't see bullying, violence and abusing behaviour...

I and many others do. Not saying I am receiving it as such. But others do. Which is why they don't actively participate in the forums.

Many of us have participated in fora, voiced our opinion, discussed and made suggestions for improvements (time invested by us!), but nothing ever happened. So why asking for our perception and experience again?

Because what you are describing is related mostly to tech. Susan's approach is of an integrated nature. We need to get the lay of the land across the entire organization in order to pave a new path. And that will also include addressing your (collective) suggestions, reports, opinions.

We have been telling you about bugs that are here for months (missing notifications and others), but also discussed fundamental questions such as the (in-)famous inclusion of ChatGPT into KudoZ or its profile, the use of so-called statistics or the restricted format. Questions raised in these discussions are very rarely answered by ProZ, instead moderators tend to disappear. This is my experience during the last few months, not satisfying at all.

Not sure what I can answer to that — being totally honest. It's not part of my role to tackle any of that. But trust that we (the staff that moderates and/or participates the forum) are reading this and I can promise you that I will investigate internally how we can improve our response. Because to me all of this is a team effort and I want "my" team to be successful in delivering a membership experience that everyone can enjoy. That's not blah-blah, that's my personal mission. After all, at the end of the day, I am also part of "your team", as a freelance translator.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
No criticism, not enough data Feb 8

I can't confirm or deny critics (no enough data).

I will just refer to an event posted by Tanya. I opened the event and there was no single intro, information, nothing about the event. Just the title. How am I supposed to make an informed decision about coming/not coming to an event that is so mysterious and lacks even a minimum intro or description? Don't take this as criticism but a friendly and logical piece of advice. Sorry can't remember the title, it was something about ProZ m
... See more
I can't confirm or deny critics (no enough data).

I will just refer to an event posted by Tanya. I opened the event and there was no single intro, information, nothing about the event. Just the title. How am I supposed to make an informed decision about coming/not coming to an event that is so mysterious and lacks even a minimum intro or description? Don't take this as criticism but a friendly and logical piece of advice. Sorry can't remember the title, it was something about ProZ mentorship I believe. I was standing there in disbelief, there is an event invitation without any explanation whatsoever.

Keep up the good work, I appreciate all staff members, they are here to support us. KudoZ to you all, including moderators and everyone.
Collapse

Tanya Quintieri

Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
SITE STAFF
I will share this with Susan Feb 8

Zea_Mays wrote:

What I would add to the survey are some additional points like:
- What are the most helpful features of the platform for you? (perhaps adding also the reasons)
- What are the less useful? Reasons?
- What would you add to the platform?

I like those. I will see if Susan thinks they can be added (not sure if that's technically possible - I am not familiar with the platform she used). Thank you!

MollyRose

Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
SITE STAFF
Wow... Feb 8

Zea_Mays wrote:

Maybe having issues dealing with rough edges is a generation thing.

That's sweet.

Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
SITE STAFF
Where was this? Feb 8

Lingua 5B wrote:

I will just refer to an event posted by Tanya. I opened the event and there was no single intro, information, nothing about the event. Just the title. How am I supposed to make an informed decision about coming/not coming to an event that is so mysterious and lacks even a minimum intro or description? Don't take this as criticism but a friendly and logical piece of advice. Sorry can't remember the title, it was something about ProZ mentorship I believe. I was standing there in disbelief, there is an event invitation without any explanation whatsoever.

I don't prepare these events, I just give the team the details. Obviously, I would want and expect the info that I've spent time on putting together to be there. If you tell me a bit more, I can go back to the team and ask what happened.

Lingua 5B

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
I thought I'd seen it all Feb 8

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Tanya,

A question for you, after you barged in (still clueless as to why, since you had no part in the conversation), Andrew Morris has disappeared from this thread. But, I have to add, with no difference in terms of the abrasive quality in the ProZ-staff posts, Jared's one being the exception.
So, are you here as Andrew's spokesperson?

"Barged in?" E-x-c-u-s-e me????? This was a ProZ.com forum last time I looked, not a schoolyard gang. Although having said that...

And I haven't disappeared. I just got a bit bored with this kind of absurd snarkery, which has remained preserved in aspic since the last time I visited these hallowed chambers 5 years ago. No one would guess half a decade had passed.

In the meantime I have a busy program to run, one in which we have volunteers from all over the world, from Africa to Asia and from Australia to Latin America. It's gloriously diverse, multicultural, positive, can-do, constructive, open to criticism, proactive, dynamic, and dominated by generations way younger than myself. Unlike this thread.

Tanya Quintieri

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 04:30
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
PROZ will not jump off the screen and make things happen Feb 8

Zea_Mays wrote: I was thinking the same. Maybe having issues dealing with rough edges is a generation thing.

Text communication is limited - people expect better, and they get disappointed.
Just as they expect from this platform, as if it will jump off the screen and make things happen. It won't.

Tanya Quintieri

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 04:30
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
Program? Feb 8

Andrew Morris wrote:
one in which we have volunteers from all over the world, from Africa to Asia and from Australia to Latin America.

Andrew, is this a translation-related program?

Tanya Quintieri

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Susan being...? Feb 8

Tanya,

You keep bringing up Susan's name as if everybody here knew who she is.
I don't think I've ever heard of a Susan. Is she a new ProZ staff member? What's her role?
Would you mind sharing with me and others not in the know who's Susan?
Thank you.

Christel Zipfel
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
SITE STAFF
I will let her speak for herself Feb 8

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Tanya,

You keep bringing up Susan's name as if everybody here knew who she is.
I don't think I've ever heard of a Susan. Is she a new ProZ staff member? What's her role?
Would you mind sharing with me and others not in the know who's Susan?
Thank you.

I do believe that I've mentioned what Susan does, she's ProZ.com's new Communications Coordinator. I'll ask her to stop by here and elaborate. Before I get accused of trying to be a spokesperson again.

But for the record, she's a long-standing ProZ.com member, too, and she's been a dear friend/collaborator/brainstorming-buddy of mine for years as well.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:30
French to English
Neutral (hopefully final) response Feb 8

Andrew Morris wrote:

And yet you purport to be emailing her to dish the dirt on me from something that apparently happened 6 years ago?

Tanya first said she "didn't understand" the bad feeling, then secondly asked to be enlightened, in the title of a post, in this thread. Obviously that cannot happen in the forum here, and no more should it.

I took the request at face value. Perhaps it was more by way of a rhetorical device on Tanya's part. Or perhaps, as in all areas of life, one should not ask questions one does not wish to hear the answers to.

The events in question date back a fair bit more than 6 years. My approach would have been merely to explain, not justify, nor "dish the dirt" - is there dirt? (rhetorical question but it's a value judgement I haven't made). In the email Tanya didn't get, I explicitly said I would not persist. I won't.

Andrew Morris

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
Clean as a whistle Feb 8

Charlie

Ok fine. Thank you for spelling that out. No worries.

Charlie Bavington

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Condescending? Moi? Feb 8

Tanya Quintieri wrote:
I'll ignore your condescending tone. I am here as a human being that happens to work part-time for ProZ.com as Program Manager. Meaning, I am developing programs for our members, including a new mentoring program. And I happen to be an entrepreneur the rest of the time, dividing said time between my own translation and web design business and running a tech company that is totally unrelated to any of the above.

Does that answer your question?

Not really, no.
What programmes are you developing for members, besides the mentoring one?
What's the 'tech and post series'? And can you please elaborate on Pastey, since we poor sods with a standard membership are not allowed to read any Pastey-related info in the 'Premium: AI-community' forum unless we buy a Plus+Premium membership?
As a paying member of ProZ since 2008, I'd like to know, in order to decide whether or not to discontinue my membership.
Thank you.

Edited to add the missing 'you' in line 2.

[Edited at 2024-02-08 21:12 GMT]

Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
SITE STAFF
Okay... details Feb 8

Barbara Carrara wrote:
What programmes are developing for members, besides the mentoring one?

The mentoring one is a monumental task. It involves a lot of development efforts that I have to coordinate with the team and I am working with a beta group to test the framework. So that takes up a large part of my time.

Once that is up and running, there are a few things I (and Henry) plan to tackle in terms of programs, but I am not a fan of hinting at stuff that isn't even in the pipeline.

What's the 'tech and post series'?

Not sure where that's from. Not saying I didn't write it, but I am missing the context. Details as to where you picked that up?

And can you please elaborate on Pastey, since we poor sods with a standard membership are not allowed to read any Pastey-related info in the 'Premium: AI-community' forum unless we buy a Plus+Premium membership?

Since we're still in a beta phase, it doesn't really make sense to share a lot of info about it. The dedicated thread in the Premium forum just relates to the feedback from test users. You're not missing out on anything at this point.

Actually, the entire Premium membership is still a very hands-on, one-on-one thing. It's new. We're testing the waters. Which is why this membership type isn't being heavily advertised or rolled out in a wider manner.

But I will say this about Pastey: It is NOT an AI tool per se. It is a companion app for desktop environments that allows users to leverage AI (ChatGPT) to the extent the human translator wants to combine their human expertise with artificial intelligence. You add your text by copying it into the tool and then pasting the output back into the source (hence the name). That can be a segment in your CAT tool or any text source you can edit (Word, browsers, Excel, chats, etc.).

Christopher Schröder

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
When a company's' warning bells should be ringing... Feb 8

ProZ has become almost useless these days and until they change

in order to decide whether or not to discontinue my membership

There have been a number of people who have not renewed their paid membership recently for reasons that have been discussed in quite some threads here. And those are just the ones we know about. Now, a few less members may not seem like a lot, but if the non-renewal is not due to financial problems but dissatisfaction, it should give cause to consider the reasons.
As opposed to what others may think, I am convinced that a platform like ProZ can accomodate the needs and expections of the majority of their members.

@ the mods here: You are adding friction here to the same degree as the users, among others through passive aggressiveness, so it might be the right place for all of us. LOL (you know, friction creates warmth)

Tanya Quintieri
Emily Gilby
Anna Sarah Krämer
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In case you've missed it (survey on perceptions and experience of ProZ.com)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »