Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Transit Tipps and Tricks
Thread poster: AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
May 9, 2012

Hello,

just wanted to share a new Website from Spanish Star-workers, who are running a blog site about Tipps and Tricks in Transit NXT. I hope you'll find a lot of new and interesing in it.

http://transitnxt.wordpress.com/

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Tips & Tricks are nice, but how about Fixes & Features May 11, 2012

Dear anonymous STAR employee,

Thanks for reminding us about the website of STAR Spain, offering Tips and Tricks.

How about STAR offering us Fixes for the bugs and anomalies in Transit and long overdue Features like support for Google Translate?

Hans

[Bearbeitet am 2012-05-11 06:32 GMT]

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
TOPIC STARTER
I am not connected with that stuff May 11, 2012

Unfortunately I don't have any influence on that processes and cannot comment or give any new information. I just wanted to help people with problems, from experience, and not be a source of information, since I am not even in that department, which makes transit or updates. I know they work hard on problems and add some features, but I don't know what will come and when and there are also information policies I don't want to break. The best way is to contact the developers directly.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
STAR's information policies May 11, 2012

Squires wrote:

there are also information policies I don't want to break. The best way is to contact the developers directly.

I have asked them several times directly, they don't bother to answer.

For me as a freelance translator it is difficult to see whether Transit will be the right choice for the next years.

The next months I'll have to deal with SDLXLIFF packages, that I'd want to translate in Transit. But every time I export such a package Studio complains.

STAR is extremely vague about support for SDLXLIFF. I find that hard to accept.

AMOF I've started to evaluate a competing CAT tool, that BTW also has a better 'information policy'.

Of course I valuate your help here. But please understand my growing frustration about STAR's attitude towards small players. If I didn't know that Transit has been developed in CH I'd guess it would have been developed in the GDR.

[Bearbeitet am 2012-05-11 08:38 GMT]

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:45
Member (2011)
French to English
Replying to Hans re: SDLXLIFF May 11, 2012

I too have been urging Star (France) to move forward on the SDLXLIFF issue, but it's a delicate subject. You surely must be aware that SDXLIFF is a proprietary format. I quote SDL: "Sdlxliff is an XLIFF format, compliant with XLIFF version 1.2. SDL has added some standards compliant propri... See more
I too have been urging Star (France) to move forward on the SDLXLIFF issue, but it's a delicate subject. You surely must be aware that SDXLIFF is a proprietary format. I quote SDL: "Sdlxliff is an XLIFF format, compliant with XLIFF version 1.2. SDL has added some standards compliant proprietary extensions"
(http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Studio%20Online/en/mergedProjects/editor/Reference/sdlxliff_files.htm)

Although their English is questionable (what does "added some standards compliant..." mean? Shouldn't this read "standard" - the adjective ? And if so, standard "compliant proprietary extensions" is somewhat confusing, not to say disingenuous or even deliberately misleading), I think we have to conclude that SDLXLIFF is NOT compliant (not even with XLIFF version 2), hence its name (SDLXLIFF). This is obviously deliberate SDL policy, to force people like you and me to use their package.

This issue has been covered so often in other threads, I'm surprised you don't appear to understand! Strictly (and legally:-)) speaking, the only way you can translate SDLXLIFF is with SDL Trados Studio! If Star (or any other CAT publisher) were to offer SDLXLIFF compatibility, I'm sure they'd quickly face legal action from SDL!

In an ideal world, Star should be licensed by SDL to use SDLXLIFF, but I very much doubt that SDL would contemplate it.

And when you say you are evaluating a competing CAT tool (with better 'information policy'), could you give us a clue as to which one it is? And more importantly, does it offer full SDLXLIFF compatibility?

Richard
Collapse

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
TOPIC STARTER
question May 11, 2012

For me as a user and independently - I think, there is a priority. What is better, CS5.5, Framemaker 10 and QXP9.1, or some insignificant improvement? It's really time consuming to add new features and support them, there is always a long tail of bugs - many of them not because of Star programming, but because the original format is faulty as well (that's why there are all these cs4, cs5 etc...). For many customers the answer is clear, and developers also have to make this hard decision - to cho... See more
For me as a user and independently - I think, there is a priority. What is better, CS5.5, Framemaker 10 and QXP9.1, or some insignificant improvement? It's really time consuming to add new features and support them, there is always a long tail of bugs - many of them not because of Star programming, but because the original format is faulty as well (that's why there are all these cs4, cs5 etc...). For many customers the answer is clear, and developers also have to make this hard decision - to choose from the giant list of wishes really important things. I too have wishes, e.g. easier handling of filters, so that I can easily edit them or add protected words, at least, without messing with cryptic files or menus, and online translating support...
I don't know about other CAT Tools format compatibilities, but it would be worth to compare. Some people really want CS6 before Google Translator...
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Other CAT tools *can* translate SDLXLIFF ... May 11, 2012

wotswot wrote:

the only way you can translate SDLXLIFF is with SDL Trados Studio! If Star (or any other CAT publisher) were to offer SDLXLIFF compatibility, I'm sure they'd quickly face legal action from SDL!

AFAIK other CAT tools like MemoQ, Swordfish and Déjà Vu *can* translate/handle SDLXLIFF files with no problems.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here ...

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
processing sdlxliff in transit May 11, 2012

wotswot wrote:

If Star (or any other CAT publisher) were to offer SDLXLIFF compatibility, I'm sure they'd quickly face legal action from SDL!

Richard

I am a layman regarding legal issues but I cannot see any grounds for legal action in such a situation - after all, there are CAT tools processing sdlxliff; and there have been any nubmer of tools for processing proprieatry ttx or "word bilingual" files without any (at least legal) problems AFAIK. On a more general note, if a tool can be created for processig a file type without any forbidden reverse engineering (and sdlxliff are simple text files as far as the underlying format is concerned, after all), why on earth would this be subject to legal action?

But I have a bit different question concering sdlxliff in NXT: in Transit XV there was an option to create your own ffd templates (to be used for importing specific formats of files; e.g., I used the ttx-importing ffd created by "users to themselves" for quite a long time). Is it still possible in NXT, if someone is willing to invest the effort, to create your own templates? Is the NXT-ffd syntax explained somewhere?

Antonin

[Edited at 2012-05-11 10:17 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Writing FFDs from scratch May 11, 2012

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Is the NXT-ffd syntax explained somewhere?

Antonin

[Edited at 2012-05-11 10:17 GMT]

Not that I know ... Perhaps Genevieve can shed light on this?

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Replying to Hans re: SDLXLIFF handed by other CAT tools May 11, 2012

You may well be right Hans, I can't confirm, since I don't have Déjà Vu, MemoQ or Swordfish, but going on some comments in this and other forums, the problem often arises when the SDLXLIFF is re-imported back into Studio (a problem that only the person so doing experiences, so if you don't have Studio you don't know whether the SDLXLIFF you've successfully exported from your particular CAT software can be successfully imported back into Studio). That's been my experience so far with Tra... See more
You may well be right Hans, I can't confirm, since I don't have Déjà Vu, MemoQ or Swordfish, but going on some comments in this and other forums, the problem often arises when the SDLXLIFF is re-imported back into Studio (a problem that only the person so doing experiences, so if you don't have Studio you don't know whether the SDLXLIFF you've successfully exported from your particular CAT software can be successfully imported back into Studio). That's been my experience so far with Transit; I've sometimes successfully imported SDLXLIFFs (renamed xlf) into, and exported from, Transit NXT (renamed back to sdlxliff), but the problem has always been the import back into Studio (like with you, I'm told that "Studio complains").

If anyone has successfully completed this cycle with another tool (SDLXLIFF produced by Studio (including target = source), translated with another translation tool then opened back in Studio to generate clean target files, whatever the format - MS Office, InDesign, FrameMaker, etc.), I'd dearly like to know!

Richard
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:45
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for the link May 11, 2012

It was great to discover what a "Regular Expression" is, and how I can use it.

Regards
Clarisa

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Priority to large language providers or to freelance translators? May 11, 2012

Squires wrote:

Some people really want CS6 before Google Translator...

For me as a freelance translator I'd welcome a shift from focus on large language providers to the interests of those who actually do the translation work: individual (freelance) translators.

In other words:

- Focus again on the green target language pane and on all services that are related to this pane (term searching, SQL database, etc.)

- Perhaps allow plug-ins for the green pane (so that a third party can write the GT support)

I have always been a very loyal user (for over 15 years) but since SP 4 Transit is moving in the wrong direction. Term search is getting unstable.

IMO Transit's development has been focussed too much on the interests of project managers for the last years.

[Bearbeitet am 2012-05-11 14:34 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
The color of the target text window May 15, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:

- Focus again on the green target language pane and on all services that are related to this pane (term searching, SQL database, etc.)

Sorry about that: Should read: 'red target language pane' .

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:45
German to Lithuanian
@Richard - I completed this cycle May 15, 2012

wotswot wrote:

If anyone has successfully completed this cycle with another tool (SDLXLIFF produced by Studio (including target = source), translated with another translation tool then opened back in Studio to generate clean target files, whatever the format - MS Office, InDesign, FrameMaker, etc.), I'd dearly like to know!

Richard

here is the link: http://www.loctimize.com/de/aktuelles/einzelansicht/view/sdlxliff-in-sdl-tados-2007-13042011.html

there is the 'golden' PDF file (in German) with the instructions, how to produce ttx files.

I hope, you know, what to do with ttx files in Transit

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Replying to Egidius May 16, 2012

Thank you but:
1. I don't know German
2. I'm not interested in Trados 2007, Tag Editor, etc. I was talking about SDL Trados Studio (so 2009 or 2011), and SDLXLIFF.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit Tipps and Tricks

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »