Téma indítója: Cort Rosebro
Cort Rosebro
Cort Rosebro  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 14:33
olasz - angol
+ ...
Nov 9, 2004

I've just started using SDLX 2004 (Build 15), and I would like to be able to tap into my old Transit (2.6, 2.7 and XV)memories.

I've seen some threads here about converting Transit for DVX, but not about converting for SDLX. It was suggested there that the Transit files (FILENAME.DEU and FILENAME.ENG) are already in XML form. The import options listed in SDLX Maintain are Trados, Delimited text and TMX.

It seems like one way to approach this would be to open the XML f
... See more
I've just started using SDLX 2004 (Build 15), and I would like to be able to tap into my old Transit (2.6, 2.7 and XV)memories.

I've seen some threads here about converting Transit for DVX, but not about converting for SDLX. It was suggested there that the Transit files (FILENAME.DEU and FILENAME.ENG) are already in XML form. The import options listed in SDLX Maintain are Trados, Delimited text and TMX.

It seems like one way to approach this would be to open the XML files (after renaming the files/changing the file extensions) in the Align module. However, that seems like more work than should be necessary.

Going by the Transit User Guide, there doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm for exporting Transit files to TMX format (or anything else for that matter). If there is a way to do this that they just are not proactively disclosing, that would seem like another promising way to approach this.

I am 99% I heard someone at the ATA convention (from SDL if memory serves correct) saying that it was now possible to do this, but on an initial query to SDLX online, they came up empty.

Anybody have any experience/ideas on how best to approach this?
Collapse

pep
pep
Local time: 20:33
angol - spanyol
Moving from Transit to SDLX Nov 9, 2004

hoodoggy wrote:

Anybody have any experience/ideas on how best to approach this?

I think that Transit has a TMX Export, doesn't the file generated import into SDLX?

If it does not work, you can maybe register for the beta of ApSIC Xbench Professional (http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench_pro.html) and use it to pivot among both tools. Migration should be quite fast, as you can load all your language pairs in one step and then dump them in a tab delimited file to import in SDLX.

I hope this helps,

Pep.

Cort Rosebro
Cort Rosebro  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 14:33
olasz - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Thanks, Pep, and here are other resources Nov 10, 2004

In response to a similar query in the Trados forum, someone posted the following:

See : http://savonlinnakampus.joensuu.fi/jaatinen/pdf/TMX_conversion.pdf

There are instructions on interconverting memories back and forth between Trados, Transit, SDLX etc. Hope it helps.

BTW, if you prefer working in Transit rather than Trados ther
... See more
In response to a similar query in the Trados forum, someone posted the following:

See : http://savonlinnakampus.joensuu.fi/jaatinen/pdf/TMX_conversion.pdf

There are instructions on interconverting memories back and forth between Trados, Transit, SDLX etc. Hope it helps.

BTW, if you prefer working in Transit rather than Trados there is a FFD that has been uploaded on the Transit user group at Yahoo.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transit_termstar/

This means you can import a Trados-segmented file (Tools/Translate) into Transit, and re-export after translation to give you a translated and uncleaned Trados document.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting Transit TM's for SDLX

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »