Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL
Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 1, 2005

Dear colleagues,

I have worked with Transit 2.7 for 2 years or so, back in 2000. After that I moved on to Deja-Vu (now I'm using Deja-Vu X).

I have around 800 reference files in Transit 2.7 which I would love to be able to include in my memory translation (DVX).

I got a free demo of Transit XV valid for another month. I looked in the manuals on how to do what I want, but I guess I need more "straight to the point" help.

Could anyone help me her
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have worked with Transit 2.7 for 2 years or so, back in 2000. After that I moved on to Deja-Vu (now I'm using Deja-Vu X).

I have around 800 reference files in Transit 2.7 which I would love to be able to include in my memory translation (DVX).

I got a free demo of Transit XV valid for another month. I looked in the manuals on how to do what I want, but I guess I need more "straight to the point" help.

Could anyone help me here with very basic steps or even pointing out sections in the manuals that could *really* help me out?

Thank you.
Adriana
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 11:22
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
"My way" Nov 1, 2005

(1) Open a project, go Project-TMX Export, choose a destination file, export to TMX - this step is rather straightforward.

(2) I recommend to clean the TMX export from Transit using a freeware TMXvalidator, downloadable from http://www.maxprograms.com
to be sure it really complies with all TMX standards and there are no charset (unicode...) issues.

Now you should have a reasona
... See more
(1) Open a project, go Project-TMX Export, choose a destination file, export to TMX - this step is rather straightforward.

(2) I recommend to clean the TMX export from Transit using a freeware TMXvalidator, downloadable from http://www.maxprograms.com
to be sure it really complies with all TMX standards and there are no charset (unicode...) issues.

Now you should have a reasonable export of a single project, not containing any "wild" characters.

(3) You can download a one-month trial version of a TMX Editor from http://www.heartsome.net

(4) Using this editor, you can edit, merge, spellcheck, etc. the TMX translation memories you get by exporting from different Transit projects, before importing them into your software. I have never used DejaVu, so I have no idea whether it is better to merge them all into one, or keep them separate.

Note: In principle, you can merge the reference materials within Transit, but I do not bother with that since I quite like the Heartsome TMX editor. Up to you, really.

HTH

Antonin

[Edited at 2005-11-01 13:46]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit: How to transform reference material (2.7) into TMX

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »