Manon Gagne-Kellman  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:46
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Sep 29, 2010

Good morning,

One of my customers is asking to have the files and memory back in bak.file. I know this is a backup file which usually gets automatically done by our system but I can't find what I am looking for. Does anyone know how to save SDL Trados files in bak?

Marcelina Haftka
Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:46
English to Polish
+ ...
*.bak files Sep 29, 2010

Hello Manon,
I don't know about Trados, but the *.bak format file is what you get automatically once you clean your bilingual text with Wordfast Classic (a separate file is created). It simply memorises the bilingual segmentation without influencing your standard MS Word original/translated files and it can be cleaned and revised when you wish to.
Maybe try to convince your client to simply accept bilingual files in *.doc/*.docx format (if you don't work on some strange platforms tha
... See more
Hello Manon,
I don't know about Trados, but the *.bak format file is what you get automatically once you clean your bilingual text with Wordfast Classic (a separate file is created). It simply memorises the bilingual segmentation without influencing your standard MS Word original/translated files and it can be cleaned and revised when you wish to.
Maybe try to convince your client to simply accept bilingual files in *.doc/*.docx format (if you don't work on some strange platforms that should not be a problem).
Good luck!
Marcelina.
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:46
English to French
+ ...
Word or TagEditor? Sep 30, 2010

Help us help you. What version of Trados are you using and most importantly, did you do the translation in Word or in TagEditor?

If you did the translation in Word, before you clean your document: in Workbench, go to Tools > Translation memory options > Tools tab, and tick the box 'Keep backup'. When you'll clean your file, a .BAK file will be created in the same folder, which will basically be your unclean file.

If you did your translation in TagEditor, your TTX file i
... See more
Help us help you. What version of Trados are you using and most importantly, did you do the translation in Word or in TagEditor?

If you did the translation in Word, before you clean your document: in Workbench, go to Tools > Translation memory options > Tools tab, and tick the box 'Keep backup'. When you'll clean your file, a .BAK file will be created in the same folder, which will basically be your unclean file.

If you did your translation in TagEditor, your TTX file is sort of a BAK file, in the sense that it's bilingual (unclean). But there is no possibility to generate an actual BAK file from TagEditor.

[Edited at 2010-09-30 04:11 GMT]
Collapse

Manon Gagne-Kellman
Manon Gagne-Kellman  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:46
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 30, 2010

I did use a Word document and everything is good now.

Thanks for your help Marie-Claude and Marcelina. Have a great day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving in bak.files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »