Off topic: What is a "delta translation"?
Thread poster: rma (X)
rma (X)
rma (X)
Jan 28, 2011

Hello everyone,
I only have one question: what is a delta translation?

I always hear this term, but I'm not sure I understand it correctly...

When I'm involved in a project, I have the initial translation.

But what are these delta translations?

Thanks.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:55
German to English
+ ...
Changes? Jan 28, 2011

I have not heard of "delta translations." However, sometimes clients send me a DeltaView document, i.e., a document that has been compared against a newer version using DeltaView software (now called Workshare Compare, I believe - quite useful on jobs with several sets of changes).

Could it be that your "delta translation" is a document where changes have been made to the original and need to be incorporated into the translation?

[Edited at 2011-01-28 14:21 GMT]

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 01:55
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes Jan 28, 2011

There's an existing translation of a previous version of the document. This time the client made some changes to the original source document, and these changes are visible in Word with the "Track changes" feature.
Your task this time is the implement these changes.

You receive: (1) source doc with tracked changes and (2) original target doc

You provide: new target doc with tracked changes

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Careful... Jan 28, 2011

What usually happens is that the client figures , "OK, I've added xx words, and we know your word rate is $.yy, so we'll pay $xx*.yy." No mention of the extra time involved for you to hunt down the change locations in the original target and confirm all changes/deletion/additions, which can vary widely depending on how many different changes are made and in how many spots.

Which is why I've mostly sworn off concordance/update-type jobs, except for a select few clients, since they'r
... See more
What usually happens is that the client figures , "OK, I've added xx words, and we know your word rate is $.yy, so we'll pay $xx*.yy." No mention of the extra time involved for you to hunt down the change locations in the original target and confirm all changes/deletion/additions, which can vary widely depending on how many different changes are made and in how many spots.

Which is why I've mostly sworn off concordance/update-type jobs, except for a select few clients, since they're rarely worth the trouble (i.e., few people are willing to pay more than "your usual rate" for them).

It seems to me that aligning the original source and target to create a TM and using that to create a translation of the revised source would be a more efficient way to go about it in terms of just getting a clean revised target text, but of course clients want to see the tracked changes in the target as well.
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Charge by hour Feb 7, 2011

Ideally, the "delta," i.e., changes, are clearly marked in the source language, so that you can locate and translate them relatively easily. However, as the posters above said, this is often not the case.

Rudolf, I don't find alignment to always be the quickest solution. If you have a very straightforward text with little formatting, no or few tables, etc. it may be just the thing. However, this is often not the case. I have gotten anything from DeltaView analyses (you can't just wo
... See more
Ideally, the "delta," i.e., changes, are clearly marked in the source language, so that you can locate and translate them relatively easily. However, as the posters above said, this is often not the case.

Rudolf, I don't find alignment to always be the quickest solution. If you have a very straightforward text with little formatting, no or few tables, etc. it may be just the thing. However, this is often not the case. I have gotten anything from DeltaView analyses (you can't just work with those like a normal file, unfortunately) to handwritten changes scanned into a non-OCR'd file. What then? I personally think the key is charging for changes by hour.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a "delta translation"?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »