Stephanie Busch
Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:04
English to German
+ ...
Am only using Win Office on my Mac Jan 5, 2011

casey wrote:

Stephanie, did you also buy Office for Mac? Is it feasible to just buy it for Windows and work on the files with Parallels? That would save some money...

I did not buy Office for Mac, as I need to use Office for Windows anyway on my Mac (for Trados).

Using Windows on Mac is not the perfect, "clean" solution, on account of Windows viruses, etc., as has been said before.

4 GB of RAM (2 of which I reserved for Windows during the Parallels installation) are ample for my office requirements, and so far the system has been very stable, with hardly any crashes.

The main reason for my switch to Mac was the noise my old PC generated. I've got a 27" iMac now, and it's really, really silent.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:04
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Decisions, decisions Jan 5, 2011

Thanks, everyone. My main reason for wanting the Mac in the first place was the 27" screen. Now I have to decide whether or not it is worth the extra money.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
If you can do with 21" screens... Jan 5, 2011

you also have the HP all-in-one solutions: http://tinyurl.com/hp-all-in-1

I would not consider buying any computer only because of its screen.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'm used to 26" screens Jan 5, 2011

I have an HP all-in-one from a few years back. It has a 26" display. Sony has 24" all-in-ones, but I looked at them at the store, and they seem so small in comparison. I know it's silly, but I like to have a big screen.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:04
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Another formatting quirk in Word files Jan 5, 2011

I use a PC. Often, when I get a document to proofread in Word, instead of what is supposed to be a simple inserted image (jpeg, gif, etc.), I get a placeholder containing the text "QuickTime Decompressor XXXX needed to view this file". A quick web search yielded the information that this typically occurs in Word docs created on a Mac and later opened in Windows, if the Mac user used c&p or drag & drop instead of insert>from file.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Images Jan 5, 2011

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

I use a PC. Often, when I get a document to proofread in Word, instead of what is supposed to be a simple inserted image (jpeg, gif, etc.), I get a placeholder containing the text "QuickTime Decompressor XXXX needed to view this file". A quick web search yielded the information that this typically occurs in Word docs created on a Mac and later opened in Windows, if the Mac user used c&p or drag & drop instead of insert>from file.

I have translated lots of .INX files in which the images were removed by the agency. In cases such as this one, I would suggest to the client to suppress the images before giving the file for translation/proofreading.

If they are needed for the job, they can also be sent separately. Another possibility would be to send reference files in PDF.

OT aside, I will drag and drop images only in iWork documents which I will send out as PDF or Pages, Numbers or Keynotes files.

Given the twists and twirls of MS Office, I process its files as if I were working on a Windows machine.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Using Office in Windows 7 Jan 5, 2011

I think since I would be using the Windows version of Office, there would not be any issues. Less vulnerability to viruses is definitely a plus. I imagine I could just use Parallels + Windows for Office/Trados and use the Mac OS for Internet, and that should keep me much safer from viruses. The only thing that makes this more expensive than a PC is having to purchase Windows 7, Office and Parallels. Then again, the PC I was looking at was only 24" and did not have as fast a processor or as much ... See more
I think since I would be using the Windows version of Office, there would not be any issues. Less vulnerability to viruses is definitely a plus. I imagine I could just use Parallels + Windows for Office/Trados and use the Mac OS for Internet, and that should keep me much safer from viruses. The only thing that makes this more expensive than a PC is having to purchase Windows 7, Office and Parallels. Then again, the PC I was looking at was only 24" and did not have as fast a processor or as much memory, so that might put them in the same range after all...Collapse

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
It's all perfect May 19, 2011

Just to update everyone who offered their kind advice, I have purchased a 27" iMac, and it is great. I purchased Windows7 and Parallels Desktop, and it works perfectly. I got the high-end iMac, so Windows seems to boot faster than it did on my old PC. I can copy and paste files between the operating systems, so there have been absolutely no problems. I use Office and Trados on the PC side and use the Mac side for Internet and e-mail to avoid viruses. I do have anti-virus software, too, of course... See more
Just to update everyone who offered their kind advice, I have purchased a 27" iMac, and it is great. I purchased Windows7 and Parallels Desktop, and it works perfectly. I got the high-end iMac, so Windows seems to boot faster than it did on my old PC. I can copy and paste files between the operating systems, so there have been absolutely no problems. I use Office and Trados on the PC side and use the Mac side for Internet and e-mail to avoid viruses. I do have anti-virus software, too, of course. I just wanted to thank everyone again for all the information.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Office formatting on Windows PCs vs Macs

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »