Microsoft Office formatting on Windows PCs vs Macs
Thread poster: casey
casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:22
Japanese to English
Jan 5, 2011

Nearly 100% of my work is on Microsoft Office files. If I buy a Mac and install the latest Microsoft Office products, will there be a difference in how the files appear on my Mac and on my customers' PCs? I believe I saw elsewhere that Trados works on Macs now, so this is my main concern right now. Does anyone who has switched from Windows to Mac have any complaints?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Short answer: no Jan 5, 2011

casey wrote:

Nearly 100% of my work is on Microsoft Office files. If I buy a Mac and install the latest Microsoft Office products, will there be a difference in how the files appear on my Mac and on my customers' PCs? I believe I saw elsewhere that Trados works on Macs now, so this is my main concern right now. Does anyone who has switched from Windows to Mac have any complaints?

I use MSOffice on Mac. MS Office applications are all 100% cross-platform. Your clients will never know whether you opened their documents on a PC or a Mac. And after you've worked on those documents and sent them back, they still won't know. All files appear exactly the same with the same formatting etc.

As to the second part of your question: using Parallels Desktop or similar add-ons, you can run Windows on your Mac if you want to, and thus run any Windows software, with no loss of performance.

You may find this link useful:

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

[Edited at 2011-01-05 08:35 GMT]

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Parallels Desktop Jan 5, 2011

Thanks, Tom, for the quick reply. If I use Parallels Desktop, will I need to purchase the Microsoft version of Office? I'm wondering how that will work. Or, is that unnecessary? For example, would I use the Mac version of Office and then use Parallels Desktop for any programs I have that are not compatible with Mac?

Also, do I need a Windows 7 license with Parallels?

[Edited at 2011-01-05 09:17 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No again Jan 5, 2011

casey wrote:

Thanks, Tom, for the quick reply. If I use Parallels Desktop, will I need to purchase the Microsoft version of Office? I'm wondering how that will work. Or, is that unnecessary? For example, would I use the Mac version of Office and then use Parallels Desktop for any programs I have that are not compatible with Mac?

Also, do I need a Windows 7 license with Parallels?

[Edited at 2011-01-05 09:17 GMT]

Office for Mac opens all Office documents created in Office for Windows. Office for Windows opens all Office documents created in Office for Mac. They are 100% compatible.

So you should purchase Office for Mac. To run Office for Mac you don't need Parallels Desktop, as it is native on the MacOS.

If you install Windows on any computer you need a licence in the usual way. That applies to a Mac as much as to a PC. The fact that you are running Windows on top of Parallels doesn't change that.

But to repeat, you won't need Parallels if you are running Office for Mac - although I can't say how that might affect any CAT tools you use, since I don't use CAT tools.

[Edited at 2011-01-05 09:30 GMT]

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:22
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
a good check Jan 5, 2011

a good check might be necessary in order that all page margins, styles, automatic formatting - are identical in MS Office for Mac, although it goes almost without saying that they are identically adjusted.

there are some fact independent of MS Office on Mac and PC, and concern the flavour of Unicode encoding in newly created files and the concept of CSV files in Excel (that is where I came, and no further than that in discov
... See more
a good check might be necessary in order that all page margins, styles, automatic formatting - are identical in MS Office for Mac, although it goes almost without saying that they are identically adjusted.

there are some fact independent of MS Office on Mac and PC, and concern the flavour of Unicode encoding in newly created files and the concept of CSV files in Excel (that is where I came, and no further than that in discoverings):

http://excel.tips.net/E194_Files.html
"
There are actually three CSV formats included with Excel:
CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv)
CSV (Macintosh) (*.csv)
CSV (MS-DOS) (*.csv)
"
etc. etc.

2. take a good look whether your MS Office version for Mac is VBA enabled.

3. Try MS Office for Mac first, before purchasing it, and do all the possible testings.

4. Before purchasing a virtualizing software, do try some of them: Parallels, Virtual box is free for personal usage only. Both of them need a valid Windows OS licence. CodeVeawers' CrossOver works directly on its internal libraries ( http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ ), but check how and what it does support. As for the CrossOver usage, it means you use your already purchased Windows applications, no need to buy them again.

Switching to another OS might be a drastic action, it is better do stay on both, learning a new OS.

D

casey wrote:

[Edited at 2011-01-05 09:30 GMT]
Collapse

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'm almost there... Jan 5, 2011

Sorry, can I ask one more question? Let's say I wanted to use Trados with Parallels. Let's also say I wanted to use TagEditor to translate a Microsoft Word file. Do I need the Windows version of Word in order to do that (i.e. work on Microsoft Office files within Parallels)? Would this also require a Windows 7 license?

Stephanie Busch
Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trados not running on Mac OS; Windows/Office licences required under Parallels Jan 5, 2011

Hello Casey,

I switched to Mac OS about a year ago, and am very satisfied with it.

However since Trados does not run on Mac OS you'd need to have Windows installed as well as the Windows Office software. You need to buy the licences for Windows and the Windows software, and your machine must have an Intel processor.

You can then install Windows under Bootcamp or with a virtualization software such as Parallels. When using bootcamp you can use only one OS at
... See more
Hello Casey,

I switched to Mac OS about a year ago, and am very satisfied with it.

However since Trados does not run on Mac OS you'd need to have Windows installed as well as the Windows Office software. You need to buy the licences for Windows and the Windows software, and your machine must have an Intel processor.

You can then install Windows under Bootcamp or with a virtualization software such as Parallels. When using bootcamp you can use only one OS at a time, Mac OS or Windows.

I am using Parallels myself, and am very satisfied with it. In Coherence Mode it is possible to open Mac and Win programs side by side.

Hope this helps!

Stephanie
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: post deleted
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
RAM Jan 5, 2011

Stephanie Busch wrote:

.....and your machine must have an Intel processor

All Macs have Intel processors now. Just make sure when you order your Mac that you have as much RAM installed as possible (or as you can afford) because I think Parallels + Windows + the MacOS itself will need lots of power.

[Edited at 2011-01-05 10:32 GMT]

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 5, 2011

Thanks, Tom and Stephanie. Since I'm going to be buying Windows 7 and MS Office anyway, is there any reason (or hopefully several) I should go with a Mac over a PC?

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Dragomir Jan 5, 2011

Dragomir Kovacevic wrote:

there are some fact independent of MS Office on Mac and PC, and concern the flavour of Unicode encoding in newly created files and the concept of CSV files in Excel (that is where I came, and no further than that in discoverings):

http://excel.tips.net/E194_Files.html
"
There are actually three CSV formats included with Excel:
CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv)
CSV (Macintosh) (*.csv)
CSV (MS-DOS) (*.csv)
"
etc. etc.

2. take a good look whether your MS Office version for Mac is VBA enabled.

3. Try MS Office for Mac first, before purchasing it, and do all the possible testings.

4. Before purchasing a virtualizing software, do try some of them: Parallels, Virtual box is free for personal usage only. Both of them need a valid Windows OS licence. CodeVeawers' CrossOver works directly on its internal libraries ( http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ ), but check how and what it does support. As for the CrossOver usage, it means you use your already purchased Windows applications, no need to buy them again.

Switching to another OS might be a drastic action, it is better do stay on both, learning a new OS.

D

Thanks for the info.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Here's one reason.... Jan 5, 2011

casey wrote:

Thanks, Tom and Stephanie. Since I'm going to be buying Windows 7 and MS Office anyway, is there any reason (or hopefully several) I should go with a Mac over a PC?

... no virusses. But you'll still get them in Windows.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Office for Mac, too? Jan 5, 2011

Stephanie, did you also buy Office for Mac? Is it feasible to just buy it for Windows and work on the files with Parallels? That would save some money...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
crazy Jan 5, 2011

casey wrote:

Stephanie, did you also buy Office for Mac? Is it feasible to just buy it for Windows and work on the files with Parallels? That would save some money...

It would be crazy to buy both versions !

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
You'll use MS Office Windows version on the Mac Jan 5, 2011

To use Trados on the Mac, you install it in a software PC emulator like Parallells.
This is a separate environment and you will need a Windows version of MS Office.
It's this Windows MS Office that "Trados on the Mac" can communicate with.
Trados can't be used with Mac versions of MS Office, AFAIK.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Office formatting on Windows PCs vs Macs

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »