Repeated word count on a Mac, what software?
Thread poster: Benoit Gazzal
Benoit Gazzal
Benoit Gazzal  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:31
English to French
+ ...
May 14, 2013

Hello all,
I've just accepted a project for a client I've already worked with quite often in the past, but haven't worked for in two years. The problem I'm facing is that our financial agreement included a discount on repeated word count. I used to do this using the Trados workbench analysis, but I've since then switched to an all mac and ubuntu setup, and don't have trados anymore. I never really got into trados / memories anyway, as they weren't very useful in what I doing.

... See more
Hello all,
I've just accepted a project for a client I've already worked with quite often in the past, but haven't worked for in two years. The problem I'm facing is that our financial agreement included a discount on repeated word count. I used to do this using the Trados workbench analysis, but I've since then switched to an all mac and ubuntu setup, and don't have trados anymore. I never really got into trados / memories anyway, as they weren't very useful in what I doing.

I'm wondering what I should use to calculate repeated words on a mac? I realise that this is probably a very silly question but I don't seem to have this in my word processor, and was wondering what software was appropriate.

thanks in advance for your help

ben

[Edited at 2013-05-15 06:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-15 06:29 GMT]
Collapse

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Determine repetitions May 15, 2013

You can either use CafeTran and determine the homogeneity

Or use this trick:

- Save as TXT.
- Open in a text editor (e.g. TextWrangler).
- Sort all lines alphabetically.
- Remove duplicate lines (in TW: Text | Process duplicate lines).
- Count number of words of the cleaned document.
- Compare the number with the word count for the uncleaned version.

[Edited at 2013-05-15 08:49 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:31
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OmegaT? May 15, 2013

OmegaT has match statistics, which might be what you want.

Benoit Gazzal
Benoit Gazzal  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! May 21, 2013

great, thanks. I'll look into into.
I had someone with Trados analyse the file for me, but really need to find a way of doing this on my own from now on.

cheers

ben

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:31
French to English
+ ...
Pointless May 21, 2013

oppo wrote:

Hello all,

I'm wondering what I should use to calculate repeated words on a mac? I realise that this is probably a very silly question but I don't seem to have this in my word processor, and was wondering what software was appropriate.

thanks in advance for your help

ben

Presumably you used to translate for this client using Trados Workbench, which meant that you and your client both benefited if the text was repetitive. What is the point of calculating how repetitive the texts are now, when you're not using a tool that will help you speed through the repetitive parts?

Unless you're going to use a TM tool I don't think it's a good idea to do these calculations for your client (they could easily do it themselves). You would be spending time and effort in order to be paid less for your work.

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Pointless 2 May 21, 2013

I'm always astonished to see translators calculate ways for clients to get it cheaper.

Just quote a price for the translation. What it is worth for you. You are the seller.

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
One more step May 22, 2013

Of course you have to perform one more step:

- Replace all full stops + space before uppercase letters with full stops + return + uppercase letter.

[Edited at 2013-05-22 18:00 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Repeated word count on a Mac, what software?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »