What is IBM Translation Manager
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 14:37
English to German
+ ...
Sep 9, 2004

Hi all, I had to ask you for information, as I never had an opportunity to work with this. My outsourcer says, hands on IBM - TM is mandatory. Is there a free trial download somewhere, what is it like!. Like Trados, which formats does it support. Does it work as standalone installation or is it functional in C/S environment etc., i thank you for all the help.
Regards,
brandis

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:37
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Old stuff Sep 9, 2004

As far as I know IBM abandoned this package 2002.

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
This is consistent with my knowledge Sep 9, 2004

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

As far as I know IBM abandoned this package 2002.

Regards
Andrzej

Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
IBM Translation Manager Sep 9, 2004

Brandis wrote:

Is there a free trial download somewhere, what is it like!. Like Trados, which formats does it support. Does it work as standalone installation or is it functional in C/S environment etc., i thank you for all the help.
Regards,
brandis

Hi Brandis,

This is an old TM system which I've had the displeasure of using on several occasions. It's very clunky and non-intuitive. Every time I worked with it file preparation was done agency-side, so I am not sure exactly what files are supported, but I seem to remember translating RC and help files with it.

Unless an agency offers you an $attractive$ job that can only be translated on this platform, you shouldn\'t give it any consideration, especially because it seems to have been tossed aside by IBM.

My 2 cents
ME

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
I use it often, and minor releases ARE published Sep 10, 2004

Hi,

I use it very often, and have already developed quite a lot of experience. If you need any help, I'm available. The current version I have is 6.0.4.1, the manual is well-structured and readable. I receive updates via a translation agency I work for, and they are pretty regular.

Contrary to popular belief, I find this tool useful, albeit a bit discouraging on the uptake...

It is a standalo
... See more
Hi,

I use it very often, and have already developed quite a lot of experience. If you need any help, I'm available. The current version I have is 6.0.4.1, the manual is well-structured and readable. I receive updates via a translation agency I work for, and they are pretty regular.

Contrary to popular belief, I find this tool useful, albeit a bit discouraging on the uptake...

It is a standalone product, and supports many formats also supported by Trados (e.g. Word, PPT, HTML + many more) but not the native Trados formats.

[Edited at 2004-09-10 08:27]
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
info on IBM TM2 Oct 11, 2004

IBM Translation Manager has normally been referred to as TM/2. If I recall, one of Michael Benis' evaluation articles on TM tools (listed at http://www.geocities.com/langtecheval/) includes a review of TM/2.

We used it at Caterpillar in the mid-1990s until we developed our own in-house TM tool, now replaced by Atril DV from what I know.

I do have in my archives the e-mai
... See more
IBM Translation Manager has normally been referred to as TM/2. If I recall, one of Michael Benis' evaluation articles on TM tools (listed at http://www.geocities.com/langtecheval/) includes a review of TM/2.

We used it at Caterpillar in the mid-1990s until we developed our own in-house TM tool, now replaced by Atril DV from what I know.

I do have in my archives the e-mail address in Germany of the IBM TM2 team, but haven't never heard anything from them for a few years.

Jeff

Jeff Allen
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

[Edited at 2004-10-12 12:41]

[Edited at 2004-10-12 12:41]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think IBM TM/2 is very much active Nov 26, 2004

Hi all! This season I got atleast 6 inquiries involving IBM TM/2. On the internet lists it ranks as the most expensive tool, almost USD 4600,-. So much for information. There is apparently no evaluation version.
Rgds,
Brandis

Teijo Kaakinen
Teijo Kaakinen
Local time: 21:37
Finnish to English
+ ...
TM/2 fixes and a demo Feb 19, 2005

... of at least an older version were available from IBM as of a year ago. If you are still interested, let me know and I'll see if I can find the site.

I have also been using TM/2 for several years. Unfortunately I've had unstability problems since a system upgrade, the company I bought my copy from has gone out of business, and the IBM numbers listed are dead as well. If anyone knows whom to contact for support I'd appreciate the contact details!

neudeck
neudeck
German
Translation Manager and DBCS-Charakters Oct 10, 2005

Hi,

I am trying to get some information on how to translate from english (or german) to chinese using IBM Translation Manager.

I looked into the Proz-forum and found your comment. I thought to give it a try and ask you since you seem to be an experienced user.

My main question is if TM is capable of working the chinese DBCS-Charakters!?

Since the product is no logner supported by IBM and I found no hints on the web, maybe you can give me a hint
... See more
Hi,

I am trying to get some information on how to translate from english (or german) to chinese using IBM Translation Manager.

I looked into the Proz-forum and found your comment. I thought to give it a try and ask you since you seem to be an experienced user.

My main question is if TM is capable of working the chinese DBCS-Charakters!?

Since the product is no logner supported by IBM and I found no hints on the web, maybe you can give me a hint?

Looking forward to your answer, thanks in advance...

Michael Neudeck

Adam Podstawczynski wrote:

Hi,

It is a standalone product, and supports many formats also supported by Trados (e.g. Word, PPT, HTML + many more) but not the native Trados formats.

[Edited at 2004-09-10 08:27][/quote]
Collapse

Tomasz Nidecki
Tomasz Nidecki
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
IBM TM is alive and well Mar 14, 2010

Despite the fact, that this topic is quite old, I found that my reply could be of some value, and therefore forgive me for reviving this dead thread.

Contrary to popular belief:

1. IBM Translation Manager may be officially abandoned, but is being updated regularly. The version I use now is 6.1.7.

2. I received a copy of IBM Translation Manager from my translation agency that I have been working with for the last 4 years, free of charge, and they received th
... See more
Despite the fact, that this topic is quite old, I found that my reply could be of some value, and therefore forgive me for reviving this dead thread.

1. IBM Translation Manager may be officially abandoned, but is being updated regularly. The version I use now is 6.1.7.

2. I received a copy of IBM Translation Manager from my translation agency that I have been working with for the last 4 years, free of charge, and they received the rights to distribute it to translators directly from IBM in Poland.

3. IBM Translation Manager is used to translate IBM documentation (and, as far as I know, also the interfaces for IBM products), and (I may be mistaken on this however) is the only tool IBM uses for such purposes.

4. For the last 2 years I have been working almost solely (well over 90 percent of my work) using this software, on various IBM projects for the abovementioned translation agency. I have translated mostly documentation.

5. IBM Translation Manager, once you get used to it, its quirks and various minor bugs, is an absolutely excellent tool, and is currently my favorite CAT tool to work with. I would much rather work on any project using this tool, than Wordfast, which was my favorite tool before. However, it does take quite a while to get used to, especially to go around the abovementioned bugs. For example, you have to know, that when this software crashes (which happens quite often), you are not to accept the system message, but close the software manually before. If you don't, the memories need rebuilding. If you close it, and then accept the system message about the crash, no rebuilding takes place, and upon starting the program again, you may simply resume your work from the point where it was left, when the program crashed. Third party macro software (I use AutoHotKey) is also useful for certain activities, to avoid multiple key presses for simple functions.

Altogether, it is an excellent tool, very much "alive and well", and I can recommend trying it out. However, it's true, that you may have to change your habits inherited from other CAT tools, when using it, and at the beginning it may seem non-intuitive to those used to Trados or Wordfast.

Also, this software is not too good to translate Word documents, and such, but is an excellent tool for XML files and other tag-based formats (automatic protection for tags is a major advantage).
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
thanks for IBM TM/2 update Mar 14, 2010

Thanks Tomasz for this update on TM/2.
It is great that you are reviving this thread. I have indeed not kept up with TM/2 since access seems to be restricted to a certain public, which makes sense.

The translators and translation editors with whom I worked very closely on a daily basis in the mid-90s liked TM/2. It was strictly DOS-based at that point in time, but met the needs. We did however build our own TM tool, called t
... See more
Thanks Tomasz for this update on TM/2.
It is great that you are reviving this thread. I have indeed not kept up with TM/2 since access seems to be restricted to a certain public, which makes sense.

The translators and translation editors with whom I worked very closely on a daily basis in the mid-90s liked TM/2. It was strictly DOS-based at that point in time, but met the needs. We did however build our own TM tool, called the Caterpillar TMT (mentioned at http://www.transref.org/u-articles/allen2.asp and at another article which I asked to be written a few years later on it
which is at http://www.internationalwriters.com/dejavu/Integrating_tools.html)

The advantage we had way back then is that there weren't many TM tools on the market and we were evaluating all existing TM and MT tools available, in combination with our own internal tools, workflow and specific constraints.

Several TM tools were in fact used internally by organizations before then became publicly available.
It just sounds like IBM kept using and updating it internally and turned off the faucet for external use.

I am familiar with other such TM tools. And I'll update one of my posts in another thread here in the forums about the status of various TM tools, especially these internal ones, and those that are only used for certain types of projects.

Jeff

Tomasz Nidecki wrote:

[Edited at 2010-03-14 16:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-14 16:40 GMT]
Collapse

Øystein Kleven
Øystein Kleven
Norway
Member (2009)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
At least IBM suplies it for free when you work for them... Jun 18, 2010

What I like about TM (or TM/2 in the old days), is that you get to use the tool for free when you translate for IBM. It really should go without saying, if IBM wants all their translations to be done in TM. This is what I don't get about SDL and other clients/agencies. How can they dictate that translators should use a specific tool or format, and then demand that the translator pay for the tool? This is also where I don't get the role of the agencies anymore. For an agency to really be useful a... See more
What I like about TM (or TM/2 in the old days), is that you get to use the tool for free when you translate for IBM. It really should go without saying, if IBM wants all their translations to be done in TM. This is what I don't get about SDL and other clients/agencies. How can they dictate that translators should use a specific tool or format, and then demand that the translator pay for the tool? This is also where I don't get the role of the agencies anymore. For an agency to really be useful and add value, the agency should handle all the CAT tool business (on their servers), and supply the translators with the tool (or a version of it), or an online front-end to it (this development we see already). Anyway, this is an old and different discussion...

I am actually dong a project now, where the end client is hosting Trados on their servers, but they have created an online front-end system that the translators use (free of charge, of course). I know many translators, maybe rightly so, are sceptical about online systems, but I really think this is the future. The CAT Tool developers should market towards clients and agencies more than towards translators, or only one or two will survive, together with various proprietary tools like TM.

I have used TM/2 and TM since the 90's, and I always liked it, although there were many quirks (but fixes/updates coming all the time). The comments about crashes don't ring true with me, as I have hardly ever seen TM crash or hang (even on laptops with limited resources). Maybe it was because the projects were always prepared by IBM or PMs, or the fact that we constantly received updates and bug fixes. Not sure. It is still in use as IBMs main translation tool.

Regards, Øystein
Collapse

Elmar Weiler
Elmar Weiler  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TM/2 open source Jun 29, 2010

Just to let you know guys, TM/2 is open source now.

See here:
http://www.opentm2.org/

Tomasz Nidecki
Tomasz Nidecki
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
OpenTM2 is not TM/2 Jul 14, 2011

Just a note about TM/2 being Open Source. It is not. OpenTM2 is not the same as IBM Translation Manager (TM/2).

OpenTM2 is based on IBM's TM/2, but it's not compatible. Actually, IBM clearly states (or rather warns and shouts) that their projects are not to be translated using OpenTM2, because it causes major problems for IBM (I believe files need to be re-translated in such a case).

I have not tried OpenTM2 yet, but since majority of my work is (still) IBM-relat
... See more
Just a note about TM/2 being Open Source. It is not. OpenTM2 is not the same as IBM Translation Manager (TM/2).

OpenTM2 is based on IBM's TM/2, but it's not compatible. Actually, IBM clearly states (or rather warns and shouts) that their projects are not to be translated using OpenTM2, because it causes major problems for IBM (I believe files need to be re-translated in such a case).

I have not tried OpenTM2 yet, but since majority of my work is (still) IBM-related, I see no point to, unless OpenTM2 developers make the tool compatible with the "classic" TM/2, which would then make it usable for IBM translators...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is IBM Translation Manager

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »