Jean-Yves Préault  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:32
English to French
+ ...
Jan 3, 2023

Hi everybody,
Wish you all the best for this new year

Just a short message to warn Wise/Transferwise users that this financial provider is threatening me to cancel a transfer made towards my personal French bank account (the official one, labelled under my name, that I’m using since months).

This institution seems to think they have the right to detain their customers’ money under fanciful reaso
... See more
Hi everybody,
Wish you all the best for this new year

Just a short message to warn Wise/Transferwise users that this financial provider is threatening me to cancel a transfer made towards my personal French bank account (the official one, labelled under my name, that I’m using since months).

This institution seems to think they have the right to detain their customers’ money under fanciful reasons.

They don’t accept the facultative personal reference used to label this transfer (which was neither racist, sexist, homophobic, or else).
Basically, the reference was just showing the transfer was made to repay a payment made from my FR personal bank account to a legal and official service provider.

So Wise/Transferwise wants to overstep FR regulation and my FR bank terms and conditions, to indirectly censor the use of my personal bank account.

I consider it as a huge red flag, and I seriously think about changing asap to another bank for my pro. activity.
Advise all users to be extremely cautious with Wise/Transferwise.

Warm regards,
Jean-Yves
Collapse

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Wise/Transferwise Jan 3, 2023

Jean-Yves, you're a bit late with this warning in my case.

As of 16 Dec 2022, Wise closed all accounts owned by Russian and Belorussian nationals (residents).

I'll have to move to another country and submit an appropriate proof, such as a utility bill or residential lease, to enjoy the privilege of being a Wise user again.

No such plans so far. They're not the only pebble on the beach, you know. ...
See more
Jean-Yves, you're a bit late with this warning in my case.

As of 16 Dec 2022, Wise closed all accounts owned by Russian and Belorussian nationals (residents).

I'll have to move to another country and submit an appropriate proof, such as a utility bill or residential lease, to enjoy the privilege of being a Wise user again.

No such plans so far. They're not the only pebble on the beach, you know.

[Edited at 2023-01-03 09:30 GMT]
Collapse

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:32
English to Turkish
Sorry to hear that Jan 3, 2023

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:
They're not the only pebble on the beach, you know.

[Edited at 2023-01-03 09:30 GMT]

Would you care to share the other alternatives you're using? Except for Paypal and Payoneer.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:32
Danish to English
+ ...
Not enough detail Jan 3, 2023

Wise is not a bank, but like other financial institutions, they have to abide by a large number of money-laundering and terror-funding regulations, sanctions, embargoes, etc., which is not their choice but our governments' and the EU's.

If for example someone's name or a message accompanying a transfer contains 'Iran', it could easily be flagged.

So what exactly did the message say?

What did Wise say?

Is the Wise account a business account? The
... See more
Wise is not a bank, but like other financial institutions, they have to abide by a large number of money-laundering and terror-funding regulations, sanctions, embargoes, etc., which is not their choice but our governments' and the EU's.

If for example someone's name or a message accompanying a transfer contains 'Iran', it could easily be flagged.

So what exactly did the message say?

What did Wise say?

Is the Wise account a business account? Their conditions don't allow personal accounts to be used for business, even in your own name.

Russia is another case, as we all know.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Baran Keki
Pavel Mondschein
Barbro Andersson

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No problems! Jan 3, 2023

I haven’t had any problems. Payments from my customers through Wise (some use TransferMate instead) go directly to my bank account just like a bank transfer (I don’t have to withdraw funds from an account in Wise or TransferMate).

Barbro Andersson

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Wise, PayPal, Skrill, Payoneer Jan 3, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Would you care to share the other alternatives you're using? Except for Paypal and Payoneer.

Baran, I posted incorrect information, my bad. AFAIK, PayPal stopped serving Russians in March 2022, and Wise followed suit 2-3 months later. It was Payoneer I had meant in my original response.

• I use ProZ*Pay occasionally to accumulate some small payments; however, the only option available to Russians at this point is setting up a crypto wallet, withdrawing the funds into it, and then dealing with conversion and withdrawal issues again

• There are intermediaries who accept hard-currency payments on your behalf, take 6-8% in fees, and transfer the funds to you in roubles, or otherwise

• I have relatives and friends in the EU, USA, Canada, etc. who can help

• I'll keep some other options I came up with last year undisclosed for now, just in case, you know

• [Edited at 2023-01-03 13:48 GMT]

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
    Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
    Ghana
    Local time: 14:32
    Japanese to English
    They have my money too Jan 4, 2023

Jean-Yves Préault wrote:
    This institution seems to think they have the right to detain their customers’ money under fanciful reasons.

Wise froze all cedi (Ghana's currency) transactions in December 2022, so yes, they do think they have the right to detain their customers' money. These transfer services are all like that, so it's best to leave as little as possible in their coffers in the long term.

Tom in London
    Daryo

Vladimir Pochinov
    Russian Federation
    English to Russian
    Never keep large amounts with any payment service Jan 4, 2023

It's highly advisable to withdraw your funds as soon as you accumulate an amount that makes the payout method practical in terms of minimum amount, fees, etc.

Tom in London
    Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
    Geoffrey Black

Thomas T. Frost
    Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
    Portugal
    Danish to English
    + ...
    Banks too Jan 4, 2023

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei wrote:

Jean-Yves Préault wrote:

Wise froze all cedi (Ghana's currency) transactions in December 2022, so yes, they do think they have the right to detain their customers' money. These transfer services are all like that, so it's best to leave as little as possible in their coffers in the long term.

Banks too sometimes freeze accounts. It typically happens if they suspect money laundering, terror financing or other illegal activity is taking place, and they cannot always inform the account holder in such cases. They can incur huge fines if they fail to carry out sufficient money-laundering checks.

The problem is that in such cases, we may not know if it is the financial institution doing something wrong or if they are just following legal obligations.

Keeping all our money with only one institution, bank or not, or even just in one country, exposes us to such risks.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
    Geoffrey Black

Jean-Yves Préault
    Jean-Yves Préault  Identity Verified
    France
    English to French
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thanks for sharing your experience/insight Jan 4, 2023

Hi everybody,
    Many thanks for sharing your experiences and insight regarding my issue with Wise/Transferwise.

First of all, I have to mention that Wise actually accepted the transfer, it seems my arguments and threat to close my account was enough to have this transfer accepted.
    Some precision regarding this transfer. What happened ? I made a payment from my French bank account to a service provider, officially registered and legal in North America and in the EU at least
    ... See more
    Hi everybody,
    Many thanks for sharing your experiences and insight regarding my issue with Wise/Transferwise.

First of all, I have to mention that Wise actually accepted the transfer, it seems my arguments and threat to close my account was enough to have this transfer accepted.
    Some precision regarding this transfer. What happened ? I made a payment from my French bank account to a service provider, officially registered and legal in North America and in the EU at least (40€ - lol). My own FR bank (the suspect and obscure Banque Populaire – re-lol ) had nothing to contest regarding this payment.
    I have two Wise accounts, and one is a pro. account ofc. Basically, I wanted to count my purchase as a professional one, hence I created a transfer from Wise pro account to my FR bank account to make provision for this purchase.
    As a reference, I indicated «Repay X», with X being the payment provider of the company I purchased services. Absolutely no relation with banned countries, illegal activity, weapons, seggs or drugs or anything else immoral or unethical.

For me, as long the transfer was made to an official FR bank account, labelled at my name, there is absolutely no justifiable reason to block it, I must be absolutely free to transfer money to repay « Russian vodka », « Iranian restaurant », « bath bombs » or a « North Korean suit » if want to do so.

So far, I haven’t had any problem, but this experience was a huge red flag, and indeed, I will take care to leave as little as possible in my Wise account.

Now, that being said. I really feel for the colleagues that find themselves in a dramatic situation with payment providers due to wars or economic sanctions.
    Using blockchains and crypto doesn’t go without risks either.
    Hot wallets can be hacked, you can send funds to the wrong network/address, and many networks/stables aren’t that much censorship resistant (your funds can be blocked in the blockchain…). Also, you still have to on-ramp, from fiat to crypto, then to off-ramp (from crypto to fiat).
    If ever you have a solution to be paid on a EU or American/Canadian bank account, you can check MtPelerin’s solution to go on-chain without kyc under certain amounts and with decent fees. Ofc, always stay extremely cautious, I haven’t tried this solution myself, and the use of a hardware wallet is absolutely recommended.

To conclude, I agree with Thomas, we have to settle different accounts, in several currencies, and using different systems, to secure the pennies hardly won.

Warm regards,
    Jean-Yves
    Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To Wise/Transferwise users - Red flag

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
    Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »