András Illyés
András Illyés  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:14
Member (2020)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jun 30, 2021

Hi there!

I have an issue, which is... I would like to take on another job and clients, but I am uncertain about my future availability...

Many opportunuties I could take, but if my regular clients are coming I will have no time. And I will not be available.

How do you manage this issue?

Because if I have free time, I can on the job and I can do it.

But if not, I will have to turn it down, which I don't like...

Thanks
... See more
Hi there!

I have an issue, which is... I would like to take on another job and clients, but I am uncertain about my future availability...

Many opportunuties I could take, but if my regular clients are coming I will have no time. And I will not be available.

How do you manage this issue?

Because if I have free time, I can on the job and I can do it.

But if not, I will have to turn it down, which I don't like...

Thanks for all the answers,

András
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

'daily capacity' + teams Jul 1, 2021

A good rule of thumb is to tell all new clients we have a daily capacity around 2k-3k words/day (I say 2.5k).

In fact, we can do double or triple that amount, or much more depending on fuzzy reps but if we tell clients that we can handle an actual amount of 5-6k words/day, we might encounter situations like you state and be forced to say we're unavailable. Telling a client or agency that you're unavailable is like a death sentence. They'll be forced to find someone else and w
... See more
A good rule of thumb is to tell all new clients we have a daily capacity around 2k-3k words/day (I say 2.5k).

In fact, we can do double or triple that amount, or much more depending on fuzzy reps but if we tell clients that we can handle an actual amount of 5-6k words/day, we might encounter situations like you state and be forced to say we're unavailable. Telling a client or agency that you're unavailable is like a death sentence. They'll be forced to find someone else and will never contact you ever again...

For work continuity, it's best to accept everything you can. If you find yourself with too much to handle, get permission from the client to subcontract all or part of the work. Build a team who you trust and can rely on to handle any 'spill-over' work. In this way you and your team members can build a strong foundation together and all pitch in when getting work from new clients, no matter the size of the job.

Good luck!
DJH
Collapse

Edward Potter
Veronica Montserrat
John Fossey

William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:14
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
How Regular? Jul 1, 2021

If you are on a preset schedule with regular clients, that is one thing, but if you have clients who come to you whenever they have a need, then I would go by the maxim that you only have the job when you get a PO. Somebody asking you to be available next week does not cut it. If you turn down work because of this possibility, it is also possible that the future job does not come to pass.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Josephine Cassar
Robert Forstag
Adieu
Kay Denney

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Massive exaggeration Jul 1, 2021

Dylan Jan Hartmann wrote:
Telling a client or agency that you're unavailable is like a death sentence. They'll be forced to find someone else and will never contact you ever again...

Only if they are a low-rent client and you are a low-rent translator.

A client worth having will instead get a reminder of how good you are and give you longer deadlines in future.

Georgi Kovachev
Adriana Sandru
Rui Domingues
P.L.F. Persio
Vera Schoen
Philippe Etienne
Jean Dimitriadis

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:14
English to Turkish
Well well Jul 1, 2021

If "telling a client or agency that you're unavailable is like a death sentence", then not being able to reply to a query for 6 or 8 hours due to time difference must be equally bad for business.
I often wondered what it would be like to be a German or French to English translator based in Australia or NZ and working with European agencies...

P.L.F. Persio
Philippe Etienne

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
The Jul 1, 2021

The trick is to ask slightly higher rates to new clients, so that, If the collaboration materializes, you will feel less reluctant to turn down a lower paying job (and may consider bumping your rates for existing customers as well).

Another solution would be to ensure you have ample deadlines, so that you can squeeze in some assignment you don't want to miss from one of your regulars.

To feel less bad about saying no, just think who you can turn to if suddenly your clie
... See more
The trick is to ask slightly higher rates to new clients, so that, If the collaboration materializes, you will feel less reluctant to turn down a lower paying job (and may consider bumping your rates for existing customers as well).

Another solution would be to ensure you have ample deadlines, so that you can squeeze in some assignment you don't want to miss from one of your regulars.

To feel less bad about saying no, just think who you can turn to if suddenly your client stops sending work your way.

That's right, you are independent after all... For good and for bad.

If they want an exclusive relationship, they should hire you! But you wouldn't like that, would you?

[Edited at 2021-07-01 12:18 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Kevin Fulton
Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
Maaike van Vlijmen
Christopher Schröder
Trufosa Ogonda

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Availability notice Jul 1, 2021

When my schedule is completely booked, I send an advance notice to my main agency clients telling them when I'll be available again. This is basic courteousness. The good thing with working with agencies is that they have other freelancers as backups. They're aware that we're human and that they can't rely on a single 365/24/7 freelancer in a given language/specialty combination.
To ensure they come back when you're available again, the challenge is to reach the status of "default go-to tr
... See more
When my schedule is completely booked, I send an advance notice to my main agency clients telling them when I'll be available again. This is basic courteousness. The good thing with working with agencies is that they have other freelancers as backups. They're aware that we're human and that they can't rely on a single 365/24/7 freelancer in a given language/specialty combination.
To ensure they come back when you're available again, the challenge is to reach the status of "default go-to translator" and always remain at the top of the list. You can feel that when they send you (paid) translation tests for their potential new clients.

Having trusted colleagues to handle the overspill is an option, but it may mean taking a cut for bearing responsibility for the outcome (revision time), and therefore lower the colleague's commitment to spend the right amount of time on the job.
Recommendation of colleagues as good as you rids you from this issue, but with the added risk of them replacing you in the list.

Anyway, get as many clients as you can at your conditions, keep the best ones, seize any opportunity to broaden your client base again, and repeat the process until you're safe (which never happens).

Dealing with end clients who effectively rely on you alone is another matter altogether.

Philippe

I forgot: deadline negotiation can work wonders too.

[Edited at 2021-07-01 12:20 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Baran Keki
Veronica Montserrat
P.L.F. Persio
June Wang

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Honesty and clarity Jul 1, 2021

In the long run, and, in my experience, in the short and medium-term too, there is a lot to be gained by being honest and clear with clients and potential clients.

Whenever I get an enquiry about a job, I always ask two things to start with:
- send me the source text
- tell me how urgent it is.

The first one is an absolute necessity. How can you judge whether factors like volume, layout and so on without seeing the document first? Not to mention the actual
... See more
In the long run, and, in my experience, in the short and medium-term too, there is a lot to be gained by being honest and clear with clients and potential clients.

Whenever I get an enquiry about a job, I always ask two things to start with:
- send me the source text
- tell me how urgent it is.

The first one is an absolute necessity. How can you judge whether factors like volume, layout and so on without seeing the document first? Not to mention the actual content.

As for the second element, urgent for one person will be 1 page of around 300 words for next week. For another person, it will be ten densely packed pages of 800 words in small print for yesterday! Urgency is highly subjective.

If my schedule is full for a week or two, which happens, I might take on one or two-page jobs to take a break from the large job.

Only once I have seen the document am I able to see what is possible. If I cannot meet the "tomorrow" deadline, then I do reply with an indication of when I could do it. I prefer to reply indicating that I am interested in doing the job, that it is within my scope of expertise and knowledge and although I cannot do it by tomorrow, I could complete it by [whenever] but that I would need to know within 24 hours, for example. It is quite surprising how moveable "urgent" can be. If I cannot meet their deadline, then I would suggest a colleague in whom I trust (in terms of expertise and knowledge).
Collapse

Michele Fauble
AnnaSCHTR
Philippe Etienne
P.L.F. Persio
Robert Forstag
Vladimir Pochinov
writeaway

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
The importance of setting the most comfortable deadlines possible Jul 2, 2021

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

If my schedule is full for a week or two, which happens, I might take on one or two-page jobs to take a break from the large job.

Only once I have seen the document am I able to see what is possible. If I cannot meet the "tomorrow" deadline, then I do reply with an indication of when I could do it. I prefer to reply indicating that I am interested in doing the job, that it is within my scope of expertise and knowledge and although I cannot do it by tomorrow, I could complete it by [whenever] but that I would need to know within 24 hours, for example. It is quite surprising how moveable "urgent" can be. If I cannot meet their deadline, then I would suggest a colleague in whom I trust (in terms of expertise and knowledge).

This is why it always makes sense to negotiate as comfortable a deadline as possible for any and all jobs. This will give you, the freelancer, the flexibility to accommodate other work (that might have a more urgent deadline, and therefore that might be better paid [though no guarantees of that these days]).

And, of course, comfortable deadlines also allow for tending to other matters that unexpectedly come up (including illness).

Part of operating effectively in this way means initially proposing a deadline that best works for you. If you simply ask the client, the tendency will usually be for them to set an unnecessarily tight deadline - because they will always want the translation(s) sooner rather than later. If there really is an urgent deadline, the client will clearly let you know this. If not, there is no reason to impose one on yourself for no good reason.

[Edited at 2021-07-02 13:43 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Gerard de Noord
Philippe Etienne

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:14
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Is it doable? Jul 2, 2021

Following on from Dylan's comment about daily output, I say the same, 2.5 to 3 kWords a day. For translation.
How would this change for proofreading?
The reason I am asking is that an agency once asked for 7k words of proofreading in less than a day (20 hours, but essentially 12 due to sleep and meals). I said I needed more time but they said that it was urgent and the client could not extend the deadline. They said it was a regular client but always with extremely tight deadlines. I
... See more
Following on from Dylan's comment about daily output, I say the same, 2.5 to 3 kWords a day. For translation.
The reason I am asking is that an agency once asked for 7k words of proofreading in less than a day (20 hours, but essentially 12 due to sleep and meals). I said I needed more time but they said that it was urgent and the client could not extend the deadline. They said it was a regular client but always with extremely tight deadlines. In the end they passed it on to another professional.
My question is: was I right, or did I miss a great opportunity? In your experience, is 7k of proofreading doable in a day? I have noticed that many proofreading assignments ask for tracked changes and/or comments on what has been changed, which increases the time taken.
I need to know as I have seen an increase in proofreading work and I need to gauge what is doable.
Collapse

Bajram Djambazi

anitha gomathy
anitha gomathy  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:44
English to Malayalam
+ ...
Be open with your client Jul 2, 2021

Dear András,

Be open with your client. It will add to your credibility. Tell them that you are facing this kind of issue and you can take up their job 'ONLY' you are free without any regular client's job. So, your new clients will be prepared. So that, you can save their time. If you say to them you would be available 24x7, that is really bad and not a trustworthy thing. So, please be frank with your new clients. So that, you can take their work whenever you are free. Eventually, t
... See more
Dear András,

Be open with your client. It will add to your credibility. Tell them that you are facing this kind of issue and you can take up their job 'ONLY' you are free without any regular client's job. So, your new clients will be prepared. So that, you can save their time. If you say to them you would be available 24x7, that is really bad and not a trustworthy thing. So, please be frank with your new clients. So that, you can take their work whenever you are free. Eventually, they would become your regular client, so you won't put down their request as well. Who knows?
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
In my experience Jul 2, 2021

20k proofreading is usually doable if you REALLY want to.

On a familiar topic with a normal translator, of course.

If the translation is trash or the topic is new, then yes, 7k.

PS this is with CATs. If they want tracked changes in Word, then it goes down to 5-10k depending on trashiness.

Paul Dixon wrote:

The reason I am asking is that an agency once asked for 7k words of proofreading in less than a day (20 hours, but essentially 12 due to sleep and meals). I said I needed more time but they said that it was urgent and the client could not extend the deadline. They said it was a regular client but always with extremely tight deadlines. In the end they passed it on to another professional.
My question is: was I right, or did I miss a great opportunity? In your experience, is 7k of proofreading doable in a day? I have noticed that many proofreading assignments ask for tracked changes and/or comments on what has been changed, which increases the time taken.
I need to know as I have seen an increase in proofreading work and I need to gauge what is doable.

[Edited at 2021-07-02 15:15 GMT]

Baran Keki

anitha gomathy
anitha gomathy  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:44
English to Malayalam
+ ...
Be open with your client! Jul 2, 2021

anitha gomathy wrote:

Dear András,

Be open with your client. It will add to your credibility. Tell them that you are facing this kind of issue and you can take up their job 'ONLY' you are free without any regular client's job. So, your new clients will be prepared. So that, you can save their time. If you say to them you would be available 24x7, that is really bad and not a trustworthy thing. So, please be frank with your new clients. So that, you can take their work whenever you are free. Eventually, they would become your regular client, so you won't put down their request as well. Who knows?

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:14
English to Turkish
Why? Jul 3, 2021

Paul Dixon wrote:
I need to know as I have seen an increase in proofreading work

Do they find your translation rate too high?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dire Jul 3, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:
Why?

Have you not heard there is a terrible crisis in Brazil?

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Availability

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »