Is a web-based TM the same as a TM which is located on a server?
投稿者: Els Eerdekens
Els Eerdekens
Els Eerdekens
ベルギー
フランス語 から オランダ語
May 2, 2013

Dear all,

Just to be sure, I would like to know if a web-based TM is the same as a TM on a server.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Els Eerdekens

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
ウクライナ
Local time: 01:32
2008に入会
英語 から ロシア語
+ ...
Yep. May 2, 2013

Synonyms.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
オランダ
Local time: 00:32
2006に入会
英語 から アフリカーンス語
+ ...
No... May 2, 2013

Els Eerdekens wrote:
I would like to know if a web-based TM is the same as a TM on a server.

Where did you hear about "web-based TM"? I suppose a web-based TM is a TM that you can access using your web browser somehow. If this is so, then most web-based TMs would indeed be "on a server" (i.e. not on your own, local computer). I don't know of any TMs that you can access using a web browser if the TM itself is on your own computer, but... theoretically it's possible.

The term "TM on a server" usually just means that the TM is accessible via a network. In other words, it is not stored on your own, local computer. The network may be connected to the internet, or it may be a closed network. So, a TM on a server may be on the internet... or not.

It gets more complicated... technically speaking, a server doens't have to be a separate computer, so it would be possible for some CAT tools to say that they use a TM on a server even if the TM is stored on the same computer as the one you're using. But I think most people who say "server" say it to mean a computer that is distinct from your own computer (be it on a local network, a wider network, or even the internet).

Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:32
英語 から フランス語
Test tool speed May 3, 2013

Web-based means that it's read and updated I've seen horribly slow response time and I've seen very fast systems (XTM Cloud, to give credit where it is due). A slow tool would be the major drawback. Another might be discounting of internal matches--check the pricing scheme. On your own CAT tool a 70% repetition is a new sentence, you leverage internally something you just made. On a real-time online tool it may be just another 70% match... yet another way to slice and dime you to death... See more
Web-based means that it's read and updated I've seen horribly slow response time and I've seen very fast systems (XTM Cloud, to give credit where it is due). A slow tool would be the major drawback. Another might be discounting of internal matches--check the pricing scheme. On your own CAT tool a 70% repetition is a new sentence, you leverage internally something you just made. On a real-time online tool it may be just another 70% match... yet another way to slice and dime you to deathCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is a web-based TM the same as a TM which is located on a server?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »