how to replace strings in a memory database?
投稿者: Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
ハンガリー
Local time: 16:48
2002に入会
英語 から ハンガリー語
+ ...
Dec 1, 2007

Hi folks,

I just imported some 8000 new segment pairs into my "big mamma" TM, and I was shocked to see that all accented characters in the target segments (Hungarian) are garbled. In fact, each valid accented character is now displayed with a two-character garbled string. The good news is that each such garbled string corresponds to exactly one valid character, so it should be possible to do a series of find and replace actions.

My question is therefore: how to replace
... See more
Hi folks,

I just imported some 8000 new segment pairs into my "big mamma" TM, and I was shocked to see that all accented characters in the target segments (Hungarian) are garbled. In fact, each valid accented character is now displayed with a two-character garbled string. The good news is that each such garbled string corresponds to exactly one valid character, so it should be possible to do a series of find and replace actions.

My question is therefore: how to replace certain strings in the target segments? I b eleive there must be a smart solution using SQL, but I have no idea how to do this.

Thank you in advance for any useful hints.

Csaba
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
メキシコ
Local time: 08:48
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
I would rather try to find the correct Unicode conversion.. Dec 1, 2007

.. but a quicker way would be to open the *.dvmdb file, switch source and target languages, and use Find & Replace.

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
ハンガリー
Local time: 16:48
2002に入会
英語 から ハンガリー語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, but how do I do that? Dec 1, 2007

Thanks, Harry, but how do I
- swicth the direction?
- do find and replace?

I cannot find these options. I have the dvmdb file open, but I can only see the source segments on the left side.

cs.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
メキシコ
Local time: 08:48
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
a bit weird, but easy: Dec 1, 2007

At the top of the DVX window you have the dropdown fields "Source Language:" and "Target Language:".

There you have to select your target language in the "Source Language" field and your source language in "Target Language".

Then you can open the Find & Replace Dialog via Ctrl+H, or via the menu Edit/Replace...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to replace strings in a memory database?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »