Fikrija Skarep
Fikrija Skarep
カナダ
Local time: 17:00
英語 から セルビア語
+ ...
Oct 9, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I got this email a couple of days ago from an unregistered user: "Hi, I have a translation job from English to Serbian. Please are you free to undertake the job. thanks."

When I agreed to translate the material, I was asked to provide my address and phone number. I sent an Agreement to be electronically signed (containing my previous address, because I wan't sure if the offer was genuine), and only received a response that they would "fill it out an
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I got this email a couple of days ago from an unregistered user: "Hi, I have a translation job from English to Serbian. Please are you free to undertake the job. thanks."

When I agreed to translate the material, I was asked to provide my address and phone number. I sent an Agreement to be electronically signed (containing my previous address, because I wan't sure if the offer was genuine), and only received a response that they would "fill it out and send". It was only 3-4 lines they were supposed to fill out, and that is when I guessed that something was wrong.

After I had reminded them to send the signed Agreement back to me and that I couldn't start until the Agreement is received and the client's ID confirmed, they answered: "Won't forget and please send yours too". They never wrote their name in the email, although there was a (fake) name associated with the email address.

Then I looked up the IP address: it was from Lagos, Nigeria. The name in Properties/Details of the Word document lead me to a number of pages on the internet with this same guy from Lagos. (I even have a copy of that guy's resume.) I already contacted Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

I do understand that he might have entered someone else's name into his computer (the name in the Properties). However, it might be that guy, as well.

Can ProZ.com send a message to all registered translators about this kind of scams, because, I really wasn't familiar with swindlers targeting translators (until I read about so many similar situations here)?

Take care,
Fikrija

[Uređeno u 2011-10-09 23:39 GMT]

[Uređeno u 2011-10-09 23:43 GMT]
Collapse

Ewa Olszowa
Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
カナダ
Local time: 17:00
ポーランド語 から 英語
+ ...
Contacted more people Oct 11, 2011

I was contacted with the same message from the Nigeria based email regarding translation into Polish. The email was suspicious so I turned them down and have not heard from them since then.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another "Translate a Book" Scam

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »