Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
アラブ首長国連邦
Local time: 23:53
英語 から アラビア語
+ ...
Oct 25, 2005

Hello Colleagues,

I use Trados TagEditor 6.5. with Windows 98 and Office 2000.
I have encoding problem. I translate from English into Arabic (Right-to-left language). The Arabic characters appear as question marks. When I go to the “Encoding” option in the “View” menu, I find it inactive, thus I cannot use it.
My questions are:
1- How to make these questions marks disappear and restore the normal Arabic characters?
2- Why the Encoding option is not
... See more
Hello Colleagues,

I use Trados TagEditor 6.5. with Windows 98 and Office 2000.
I have encoding problem. I translate from English into Arabic (Right-to-left language). The Arabic characters appear as question marks. When I go to the “Encoding” option in the “View” menu, I find it inactive, thus I cannot use it.
My questions are:
1- How to make these questions marks disappear and restore the normal Arabic characters?
2- Why the Encoding option is not active.
3- If I fail to solve this problem, how can I save/restore my file/work so that I don’t lose the work I have done? I mean is there any way to restore my work?

Thank you very much for your help!

Waleed
Collapse

Mara Lazcano
Mara Lazcano  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 20:53
英語 から スペイン語
Correct language settings in Workbench, Tag Editor and in your computer's "Input locales" ? Oct 25, 2005

I haven't dealt with Arabic texts in Tag Editor, but I have found that problems with Trados and other non-Latin based languages are often solved by double checking that the language you're working with is included in the "Installed Input Locales" (in Control Panel > Regional Settings)list.

As to the dissappearance of functionalities in Tag Editor, it might happen if the language combination of Workbench and Tag Editor don't match (including regional variants) or Tag Editor is not co
... See more
I haven't dealt with Arabic texts in Tag Editor, but I have found that problems with Trados and other non-Latin based languages are often solved by double checking that the language you're working with is included in the "Installed Input Locales" (in Control Panel > Regional Settings)list.

As to the dissappearance of functionalities in Tag Editor, it might happen if the language combination of Workbench and Tag Editor don't match (including regional variants) or Tag Editor is not connected to Workbench.

I hope that helps a little!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Encoding problem with TagEditor

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »