投稿者: Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
メキシコ
Local time: 16:26
スペイン語 から 英語
Jul 26, 2004

Help!
I have to translate some extensive footnotes and there are a lot of quotes.
This to going to be proofread later, but time is at a premium and I don't want to do the wrong thing and make work for the proofreader, so could someone tell me, do I leave the quotes in their original language and put the translation in brackets after them?

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 18:26
ドイツ語 から 英語
+ ...
Ask the client Jul 26, 2004

Hi Lesley,

Can you ask the client?

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
フランス
Local time: 00:26
ドイツ語 から フランス語
+ ...
Depends on the context... Jul 26, 2004

Hi,
I guess that it depends on the kind of text you're translating and what the footnotes are for. Are the quotes originally in the source language? If not, there may be no point in keeping them in the source language since they were translated in the first place.
Do the readers have to understand the point using the source language? I mean, the notes can illustrate a pun or something for which you have to read the source language even if you don't understand it. In this case it migh
... See more
Hi,
I guess that it depends on the kind of text you're translating and what the footnotes are for. Are the quotes originally in the source language? If not, there may be no point in keeping them in the source language since they were translated in the first place.
Do the readers have to understand the point using the source language? I mean, the notes can illustrate a pun or something for which you have to read the source language even if you don't understand it. In this case it might be useful to keep the original quote and to translate its meaning for a better understanding.
If the quotes are just here to explain something, then the readers most probably will have to understand them so it will be better to translate them.
I hope this helps you sort things out!
Regards

Marie-Céline
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 18:26
ドイツ語 から 英語
If the footnotes are bibliographic references ... Jul 26, 2004

there's no need to translate them, since there may not be an existing translation of the work referred to, and a translation would only serve to confuse the reader. Explanatory notes or quotations are different: I'd translate the explanatory note; for a quotation I'd use the original as well as a translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice wanted on translating footnotes

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »