Localize Your Content shows a different language
Thread poster: Scarlett Orork
Scarlett Orork
Scarlett Orork
United States
Local time: 00:52
Japanese to English
Mar 19, 2008

Hello! I think that the Localize your content feature is a fantastic option! I hope I am not being redundant, but I am trying to enter Japanese content in my profile and when I Google myself (I do that occasionally), an Arabic font is revealed. Am I doing it right? Under profile localization, I push "localize this text", thenI enter the Japanese text, then I click update. Am I missing a step?
Scarlett

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 01:52
SITE STAFF
Could this be the localized version of your profile? Mar 19, 2008

Hello Scarlett,

Is it possible that what you are seeing in the search results you mention is the version of your profile localized to Arabic? Remember that the site is localized into many different languages and is being localized into many more. This allows users and visitors to easily view the site, and your profile, in their preferred language.

If the problem you are referring to is with your "About me" text itself, p
... See more
Hello Scarlett,

Is it possible that what you are seeing in the search results you mention is the version of your profile localized to Arabic? Remember that the site is localized into many different languages and is being localized into many more. This allows users and visitors to easily view the site, and your profile, in their preferred language.

If the problem you are referring to is with your "About me" text itself, please just submit a support request with a screenshot of what you are seeing and I'll be happy to help you with this. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:52
German to English
+ ...
The Proz/Google screw-up Mar 20, 2008

The problem is that Google grabs just any old localised version of the material on ProZ. So if you search for ProZ content, it seems to throw the question up in the air and use a random generator to decide which localised language to use.

I find this when I search for words on Google and find a KudoZ question about the term. Even if the term and the answer are in the right languages (in my case: German-English or vice versa), the interface is almost always in a language that I can'
... See more
The problem is that Google grabs just any old localised version of the material on ProZ. So if you search for ProZ content, it seems to throw the question up in the air and use a random generator to decide which localised language to use.

I find this when I search for words on Google and find a KudoZ question about the term. Even if the term and the answer are in the right languages (in my case: German-English or vice versa), the interface is almost always in a language that I can't read. And if I go to the bottom of the screen and change the localisation (e.g. to English), this loses the focus on the question, and I have no way to return to it (apart from returning to the gobbledygook localisation).

This is the down side of localising everything. Is there no way to make Google only index the localised versions of KudoZ questions for the languages used by the question?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localize Your Content shows a different language

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »