Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 26, 2022

Dear colleagues,

I have been contacted via my Proz profile by a agency in the US that asks for availability to do post-editing of transcriptions of audios/videos and ask for my rates per minute.

Have you ever done a post-editing of a transcription of a video?

I have no idea about how many words I can process in 1 minute of video/audio. I know I can process around 900 source words from EN into ES of a pure written text in 1 hour if the machine translation is
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have been contacted via my Proz profile by a agency in the US that asks for availability to do post-editing of transcriptions of audios/videos and ask for my rates per minute.

Have you ever done a post-editing of a transcription of a video?

I have no idea about how many words I can process in 1 minute of video/audio. I know I can process around 900 source words from EN into ES of a pure written text in 1 hour if the machine translation is good and a little bit less from DE into ES but I have never worked with videos or subtitling.

I think that the transcription will be very poor but I don't even know how many words may contain a minute of video to calculate my rate, either if is full of text or almost empty.

I would appreciate if someone could share with me the average or a range of amounts of words contained in a minute of video to figure out how much time I would need to process 1 minute of video.

Greetings.
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Don't charge by the minute Jan 26, 2022

It's strange that they're asking you to quote a per-minute rate. Since it's already been transcribed, you should charge by the word for editing.

expressisverbis

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point! Jan 27, 2022

philgoddard wrote:

It's strange that they're asking you to quote a per-minute rate. Since it's already been transcribed, you should charge by the word for editing.

Yes, you are right, philgoddard.

I did not realize about it simply because I do not work with multimedia contents.

Thank you!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Words processed in post-editing a transcription for a minute

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »